M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for a scout mounted scope for my SA Squad Scout - 80% of the time I'll be using it at low power within 200 yds (local range limit), but would really like the ability to dial it up to 6x or so for when I have the opportunity to shoot out to the maximum ability of the rifle. Skimming through the archives I've seen where others recommend variable power pistol scopes for this exact purpose, but have not found where anyone's addressed the short parallax (50yd or so) that is usually factory set and non-adjustable on nearly all pistol scopes.

Is a different parallax something that can be special requested when ordering the scope? Maybe only with certain models? Is there a way to adjust the position of the objective lens to shift parallax? Or am I stuck with a fixed power "scout" riflescope to get a realistic rifle range parallax?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You can have the parallax set to any distance you want to... within reason. I know Burris does this on request, and some pistol scopes have an adjustable front PA. This is only offered in the variable power pistol scopes though. Also, Burris scopes are usually set to be parallax free at 100 yards.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
The Nikon Encore and Leupold Scout scopes have the parallax focused out at 100 yards since they are designed to be Scout style scopes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh- that BDC reticle Encore looks promising, and good reviews for about half what I was expecting to spend. FRG1

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Oooh- that BDC reticle Encore looks promising, and good reviews for about half what I was expecting to spend. FRG1
I have the 2.5x - 8x Nikon Encore with the BDC on my SOCOM 16 and I really like it. The BDC reticle works very well with my 168gr loads, the circles work out close enough to be useful out to 300 yards on elk or deer. I have shot quart sized bottles at 270 yards with the setup and it was consistent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts