M14 Forum banner

Change an M1-A Standard to a Super Match!

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  jameslawson71 
#1 ·
I called Springfield this week to find out what it would cost to up grade my standard to a Super Match. To go with a oversize Walnut stock and a cm barrel would be 687. and change. For one with the Marine Camo stock and Krieger stainless. That would be 907. and change. I'm leaning towards the Krieger and Marine stock. But I do like the wood stock. The Walnut and stainless would work too.

I know there are members on the forum that have these that can help me make the right choice. I'm dithering between the Camo and the Walnut stocks. I'm sure on the stainless barrel.

#2 ·
That seems like a pretty good deal to me. $400 and change for the Krieger bbl, $500+/- for the stock, plus the bedding, HS, etc?

I'd do the McMillan M1A stock (have one and love it) and the SS Krieger.

#3 ·
+1 on the McMillian stock, I have one and love the stock due to the size of my hands (large) and the fact that it is impervious to any weather out there. I would try to get my hands on each stock to see how it fits you and your shooting needs. When I got my stock, it was the first time I saw on, and it was hanging on the wall in a gun shop waitin' for me to show up

JohnMCORPS1

#4 ·
I did the same package as your looking at. I went with Krieger barrel and the M21 stock. They offered me the choice and I just liked the way the the M21 looked in the picture. In hind sight, I wish I would have choosen the McMillan stock. When I got it the rifle back, it was an entirely different rifle.

#5 ·
I have the m21 and I just built a sm with the mcmillan m1a and one with the mcmillan m3a adj. If you plan on scoping it get the m21 or the mcmillan m3a adj w/ integral cheek piece. I agree there is a world of difference. You will have to get used to the weight for one.

#7 ·
I think they're about 3 to 3.5 pounds if I'm remembering correctly. The McMillan M1A's are made to maximum allowed specs for match shooting so they're big. I had an M3A and liked it. The rifle it was on weighed about 20 pounds though with the heavy barrel.

#8 ·
This is a very exciting topic. Just planning on what your rifle is going to morph into is tons of fun. I watched the calender unitl SAI shipped mine back. If your going to scope it, you may want to add $45 to the bill and have them add a QD stud or maybe even a rail to whatever option you go with. That way you dont have the pull the bedded action out of the stock and add one later. If you plan on competing, I would suggest checking the rules about having a QD stud.

#9 ·
Look's like I'll be going with the Macmillan stock an Stainless barrel. I have a Bassett Machine mount on order so no problems there. And I had forgotten that I had bought a Boyds type 2 stock a while back and had forgotten about it. So if down the road I want to I can glass bed it to the rifle. Guess I'll give them a call soon and get things going.

#10 ·
Called Springfield today. There was some misinformation I passed on. The price to change my standard to a Walnut stock, cm barrel Super match is 687. and change. for 907. and change would be a Walnut stock and Krieger stainless barrel. Now what I'm going to go with the Marine Corp Camo stock and Krieger barrel is 1,219.19. It would have already been on its way but I had to catch my breath. Its still better then all most 3000.00 for the same thing new.

#13 · (Edited)
But you wont be getting a rear-lug with that.... Its more than a stock and a barrel that makes it a so-called "SuperMatch". You'll want a NM Spring guide and a unitized gas cylinder. You will also want a match trigger. Thats a matter of stoning, correctly, the one you already have. You'll want match sights too... Make sure Springfield beds the stock....The McMillan's have to be bedded, rear-lug or not...

What it really comes down to is good parts plus good workmanship.

Yes its less than $3000, but what you are listing is not everything that makes a $3000 rifle, a $3000 rifle. Plus if you already paid $1200 for the rifle from the git-go, you are already at $2400...

Im saying these things just so some of the "Match" accurizing items are listed and you are aware. Not to put down your project in anyway and Krieger barrels and McMillan stocks are just awesome, but just so you know, its more than a McMillan stock and Krieger barre that makes a 14 shoot like a house on fire...

BTW: Having gone through a few SS and CM barrels from Krieger, my personal recommendation is CM. It has nothing to do with Krieger. Both barrels will be cut with utmost care and both will shoot great, but I think the CM's "shoot" a little longer than the SS's. Thats just my experience.

Good luck with the project all the same..

#14 ·
SM upgrades

+1 on what jameslawson71 said, what it sounds like SAI is offering you is a heavy barrel and the heavy SM type stock. I don't know if the price they are giving you is a good deal or not, I have not priced that type of work in a while, but unless you get a trigger job, bedding job, unitzed cylinder, NM sights NM spring guide etc, it is not the eqivilant of the "SM"...doesn't mean that it isn't worth it, just understand what you are getting..you can find SMs on GB for between $2200-$2500. Good luck...
SER

#15 ·
Jimlawson71's post made me think about what I was going to do. I called Springfield and got the answers I need to make my decision. What they are offering is a heavy barrel NM with oversize bedded stock. In the talk with them I found that they would send my parts back that were replaced for the build. They would do a trigger job on my trigger group, and a unitized gas system. But I think the national match spring guide would be on me. For 687 I may go for it, I'm still thinking it over.

#18 ·
Because of what I've learned about the Springfield Super Match build. I will not be sending my Standard back for the build.

I've been checking the rifle, and have found that it has a GI chrome barrel #779010 7-61-M. The trigger housing looks GI also #7267030, and for sure has a Winchester hammer # c46008-1 W.R.A. So I'm going to keep this one like it is, and if I can find them put more GI parts on.

The Bassett Machine mount came this morning and I put it on the standard and will take it to the range and see what kind of groups it will shoot.

As for the Super Match I'll see if I can find one on line or do a physical search of the shops in the surrounding towns. Plus the Big Reno Gun show will be here in a couple of weeks. If I have any more fun I'll get arrested.

#19 · (Edited)
If you really have "the 14 bug" and some time to wait. I would just call LRB and get on the list for one of their rifles. If the disease sets in like it has for most around here, you will start to feel the urge for something beyond the typical Springfield, SuperMatch or not, eventually....

I picked up a SuperMatch in 08 and it shoots great, but for the money, the attention to detail just isn't there. I dont know how to explain it, but there is just something special about these rifles and parts when they are made and put together by Fulton, Smith, LRB, etc (US Companies) that really isnt present in Springfield's (later) products. Its the fine details and a certain "aura" (for lack of a better word) that permeates them. Its enough to make your mouth water.....

But it sounds like you have a good one with some good parts. Savor that bad boy in the meantime...

#20 ·
James that was well said! I have one SAI SM M21 that I got for dealer cost. It has a heavy cm krieger 1/10 and all the mods as well as a gi trigger which I find odd considering it's is an 07 vintage. I also built my own LRB's as of right now I did four of them. Each and everyone of the LRB actions for whatever reason was smoother without grease than my M21. As you may have already figured out I am a huge LRB/Krieger combo fan. I hole to lick your brain come spring, I hope to start doing some of the local competitions both with the NM AR I'm building and my SM Mcmillan/LRB/Krieger combo. I have not done any competing yet and will need some guidance. Considering what yiu accomplished this season I hope you dint mind if I hit you up in the spring.

#22 ·
The more the merrier, mate! Ill probably chase few legs in the area until the NTI at Perry, but that will likely be MA, NH, possibly up at Forbes in NY. I think they hold one before August. Perry is the place to meet up, unless you ever want to head up this way and shoot one weekend informally in Wesport Mass. More than welcome to come along....

Ill be shooting the CMP week at Perry (P100 and NTI with the AR) and hopefully will have enough time to stay through Sunday to shoot the M1A Match...Thats fun!

#21 ·
If you'll be going to the Reno show anyway, I wouldn't be spending a rifle nickel anywhere else til I'd had a chance to check out what's on the tables and what gets brought in. The key things are 1) know the product (all the way back to the '70's) and 2) know what type rig you want. It might be a lugged heavy-barrel version with the McM stock and all possible accuracy trick-outs, it might be something else. GI parts, condition, barrel, the fit, finish, function & handling qualities that say there's skill went into the build. There'll be probably a few LRB's out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.