M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Ben, I think that that G3 extractor will work for you. I have bought HK stuff for my C93 from RTG parts and they are a good outfit, I have never had a problem with anything that I ordered and all of it was top notch stuff. I would do business with them again!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ben, I think that that G3 extractor will work for you. I have bought HK stuff for my C93 from RTG parts and they are a good outfit, I have never had a problem with anything that I ordered and all of it was top notch stuff. I would do business with them again!
Thanks Tom! I seen this written below
HK G3 - HK91 extractor new.

German production HK extractor produced for the German Army.

New / unissued condition.

These will fit all HK91-G3 rifles and clones including the PTR91, V51, C91 and CETME.

They say it will fit my CETME so I ordered it. I bet this G3 Part is of much better quality then the CETME Extractor I have. I will update after I install the part.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'll give a 2nd thumbs up for RTG too. Had good dealings with them. If for some reason that part DOESN'T work, give them a call and Im sure they will sort it out for you.

Strange that your extractor was showing so much wear though..... makes me wonder if there is another issue. Im no roller-delay guru, but I can ask one if you like.

RTG used to have a list of parts that interchange ( many do ) but it looks like it disappeared when they revamped the site. Looks like they plan to put it back up eventually by the note in their CETME section.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give a 2nd thumbs up for RTG too. Had good dealings with them. If for some reason that part DOESN'T work, give them a call and Im sure they will sort it out for you.

Strange that your extractor was showing so much wear though..... makes me wonder if there is another issue. Im no roller-delay guru, but I can ask one if you like.

RTG used to have a list of parts that interchange ( many do ) but it looks like it disappeared when they revamped the site. Looks like they plan to put it back up eventually by the note in their CETME section.
Well I Purchased the rifle brand new a few years back. Have around 500 rounds fired through it. All of which are my reloads minus the first 20 rounds I used brown bear because that was all I had. The rifle functions like a champ. I never have any malfunctions/jams. So even know the extractor is bent and has a hair crack in it, it still functions 100%...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well I went and asked him before I let you reply. GI1 He's built a LOT of CETMEs and variations of, flutes his own barrels if needed, and is currently finishing up a gas operated .243 based on CETME parts with his own locking piece.

His reply... Not unusual, the extractors and springs wear worse than any other part on the gun. He should change both the extractor and spring at the same time.

Wondering how many rounds that extractor had seen before century put it back into service. Is the "window" in the side of your trigger pack cage bent up slightly? Not sure if they replace those with a US one when they build them, but I seem to remember that can be indicative of a well used rifle, with a fair amount of time with the selector in the "fun" position. The CETME kit I recently sold had that kind of wear on the trigger pack anyways.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went and asked him before I let you reply. GI1 He's built a LOT of CETMEs and variations of, flutes his own barrels if needed, and is currently finishing up a gas operated .243 based on CETME parts with his own locking piece.

His reply... Not unusual, the extractors and springs wear worse than any other part on the gun. He should change both the extractor and spring at the same time.

Wondering how many rounds that extractor had seen before century put it back into service. Is the "window" in the side of your trigger pack cage bent up slightly? Not sure if they replace those with a US one when they build them, but I seem to remember that can be indicative of a well used rifle, with a fair amount of time with the selector in the "fun" position. The CETME kit I recently sold had that kind of wear on the trigger pack anyways.
I am not that familiar with the HK family of weapons so let me ask,
Is this spring http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-German-Rifle-Extractor-Spring-For-All-HK-s-p188.htm#.U7N_aLEY-UY
The only spring that holds the extractor together? And is that the spring that should he is saying should be changed to?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I am not that familiar with the HK family of weapons so let me ask,
Is this spring http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-German-Rifle-Extractor-Spring-For-All-HK-s-p188.htm#.U7N_aLEY-UY
The only spring that holds the extractor together? And is that the spring that should he is saying should be changed to?
Yes, or at least I believe so. As I said, Im no guru myself, but that is the spring.

RTG has a parts pack...might be about the same price as ordering the extractor and spring separately, unless you ordered the extractor already.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/CETME-PARTS-PACK-NO-ROLLERS-176p1781.htm

HKparts has a good breakdown pic... http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-91-G3-Bolt-Carrier-Bolt-Groups-c113.htm

Being a "blow back" action (although roller delayed), it WILL function with a bad extractor as you've found. Best to keep them in good shape though, as they can beat themselves up.

The good thing for you... CETME parts are usually cheaper than H&K parts.

·
Registered
293 Posts
RTG is good people and good parts for the HK91/G3/CETME/PTR91

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

I installed that G3 Extractor, went right in fits perfect. No problems at all. One question, Are HK/G3 Parts like the USGI Parts we all purchase for our M14's? Or are they they the same quality as the parts that come on the Century clones?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Ben, at least on my Century C93 rifle and C93 pistol, most all the small parts, bolt group, etc are surplus parts. The surplus parts in these two show use but are far from worn out. I believe that the receivers and barrels are new. I know that what PTR is putting out now is good quality stuff. I know that some of the firearms that Century put out were sub par, I guess that it is hit or miss with them. I am happy with the two Hk 93/33 clones that I have. There are a lot of genuine military surplus parts for HK91/G3's on the market now, kind of like where M14 parts were in the 80's and 90's. I even bought 10 Hk G3 mags just because they were $2.99 each,(brand new 60's and 70's dates) I currently do not own a 91 series, but at least I have some mags for when I do!

People make cheap versions of everything these days, but I think think that most of the small parts are good to go. These are fun guns for me,

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I installed that G3 Extractor, went right in fits perfect. No problems at all. One question, Are HK/G3 Parts like the USGI Parts we all purchase for our M14's? Or are they they the same quality as the parts that come on the Century clones?
These rifles, like many other foreign military style rifles are built like M1As USED to be built. Meaning they are manufactured from parts kits, with some US made parts. In other words.... your CETME is mostly original Spanish parts, now with a dash of German thrown in.

Since the parts kits have nearly vanished from the market, the market for US made parts is insane. Prices have skyrocketed. With the fluted chamber, barrels are more complicated to manufacture, and obviously the market is very small now.

Other things like barrel trunnions are sketchy at best if you are using a US made trunnion. There was a big study done a year or two ago, by several guys in the gun building hobby. There had been many failures of US made trunnions that led to it. One "machinist" (its rude to call him that I think GI1... I believe he was originally a tool and die maker before moving up the chain) did all the precision measuring, sectioning of the parts, surface and interior hardness testing, and machining/design quality. Another guy did the rest of the science, doing metallurgical analysis to determine types of metal and heat treating processes used. If I remember right, of the 3 or 4 vendors examined, all but one were considered to be a waste of your efforts. Its was a LONG thread, that developed over several months at parts when back and forth and data was collected and analyzed.

The gist was....if at all possible, when using/replacing a critical part, use an original foreign part. Barrels were the one exception, but there weren't many guys in the game on that. RCM pretty much had the market cornered.

NOW.... as far as Century is concerned.... until the last few years, it was 50/50 at best if you got a good rifle from them. They had barrels that weren't fluted properly, and then there was the whole bolt grinding fiasco. They ground the back of the bolt head to achieve the "proper" bolt gap (headspace basically). In all actuality it was a false bolt gap and caused a lot of issues down the road.

Too much info? GI1

Some CETME parts are still pretty cheap. Trigger group prices have been on the climb though...those used to be CHEAP. If you can, I would grab some spare parts while you can. At least the stuff that wears out quickly. Mags too. Last bunch of G3 mags I got from CTD were $1.50 ea. GI3

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ben, at least on my Century C93 rifle and C93 pistol, most all the small parts, bolt group, etc are surplus parts, with matching numbers. The surplus parts in these two show use but are far from worn out. I believe that the receivers and barrels are new. I know that what PTR is putting out now is good quality stuff. I know that some of the firearms that Century put out were sub par, I guess that it is hit or miss with them. I am happy with the two Hk 93/33 clones that I have. There are a lot of genuine military surplus parts for HK91/G3's on the market now, kind of like where M14 parts were in the 80's and 90's. I even bought 10 Hk G3 mags just because they were $2.99 each,(brand new 60's and 70's dates) I currently do not own a 91 series, but at least I have some mags for when I do!

People make cheap versions of everything these days, but I think think that most of the small parts are good to go. These are fun guns for me,
Tom Don't even get me started on those dirt cheap mags. You will make me go purchase another 20 of them. Lets just say I got whole crap load of them mags last year right after sandy hook hit for 99 cents a piece (yes 99 cents a piece...GI1). I am well stock on those G3 Mags. They fit and function in my CETME Better then the original CETME Mags. Plus there not as heavy. My CETME Has the black stock and front hand guard true flash hider and bayonet lug I got a military issue cleaning kit that fits inside of the tube that is the bayonet lug. Awesome feature. I also got the bayonet for it to. The only thing I am missing is the Hensoldt ZF 4x24 scope to complete the rifle.

The CETME Takes a lot of bashing from people but mine eats every kind of NATO surplus ammo and all of my hand loads with no issues at all.
Its defiantly hit or miss with Century arms sometimes you get lucky and get a good weapon.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If you don't know how to do it already, I would suggest using some Google Fu and learning how to measure your bolt gap properly. There is a "safe" window it should measure in. The gap WILL change with enough shooting, eventually affecting function and possibly safety. Oversize rollers can adjust for this to some extent, but there are limits. Doesn't sound like you shoot it THAT much, so you might never have an issue....but something to keep in mind.

That goes for ALL the roller delayed guns by the way. ;) Not just the CETME/G3/HK91

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am amazed at all of these HK G3 Parts in stock at RTG. I Might as well start purchasing them while I can get them before they dry up like the USGI parts did.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
RTG is one of the top places to go for HK parts. The carry handle should fit. My C93 rifle came with one and I took it off, seemed silly to have it on a 5.56mm rifle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts