M14 Forum banner

Century Arms/Fed. Ord. Receiver M14S - Forged or Cast?

1644 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Tommo
Hi all,

New to the forum, not so new to the M14 platform. Have spent some time with a Polytech M14 in the past and came to appreciate the quality finish of that rifle. I recently acquired a Century Arms/Fed. Ord. M14S, of which the fit and finish is... bleh. Very rough. The heel of the rifle is marked Century Arms, however one of the lugs is stamped Federal Ordinance. See the pictures. From what I have read, this is a US-made receiver with all Chinese parts. What I can't figure out definitively is if this is a cast or forged receiver. Does anyone know details on this particular beast?

Reactions: Tommo and Para Pete
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,262 Posts
While all Fed Ord receivers were cast, CAI used a lot of Chinese receivers which are forged. It appears that some of the parts on this rifle are Chinese so there is a good possibility that the receiver is forged even though it indicates Fed Ord was one of the sources.

· Registered
12,512 Posts
Have never heard of Fed Ord using Chinese forged receivers. There later production guns like this one had mostly Chinese parts, but receivers are still cast from all I have read.
It would be news to me for sure if it was forged.
Calling Different!

· Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
1,518 Posts
Welcome. You've come to the right place for answers.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Did all the Chinese receivers have the set screw in the barrel ring?

eQ
I believe all the Chinese M14 receivers that were legally imported into the USA that were originally manufactured as semi auto only had the barrel set screw.

There were some converted select fire Chinese M14 rifles that were legally imported, as well as select fire rifles imported but I do not know if they had a set screw. They are rare.

The OP's receiver is a cast Fed Ord receiver.

· Registered
758 Posts
Look for cast marks, things like uneven surfaces where they really shouldn't be, like small "steps" or as they say in welding "hi-lo's", "orange peel" or what would look like very fine stippling (usually seen on the flat surfaces), or better yet, holes from "bubbles" in the casting. I've seen deformation in the rear heel where the bolt goes aft from what appeared to be be improper casting. THAT particular POS receiver should have never left the shop for retail. That was just one of its problems, but I digress.

IIRC, the Federal Ordinance were cast, however, if you read on FULTON ARMORY's and TANK'S RIFLE SHOP explanation of "Forge v Cast" debate, we all know that forged steel is generally STRONGER than cast, BUT in the case of M-14 commercial clones; a well-made, made-to-spec, properly machined casting is better in the long run than one that is poorly forged receiver.

I'm still waiting to see the pics of a "worn out" M-14 commercial receiver. IF the forged ones are rated at 300K rounds and the cast ones are just "half" that life expectancy, then, at today's modern prices, it should only cost you $75,000 -> $150,000 to wear one out from shooting and then PROPERLY cleaning and lubing it. Let us know when that happens. You'll be the first.

Jarhead

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.