M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I came across some commercially canned products (various types of food) I'd tucked into a storage locker in a seldom-visited location probably more than 6 years ago and then forgotten about. I would have thought that a mere 5 or 6 years was still in the safe storage period (with of course considerable loss of vitamins)- but nooooo, one or more cans had leaked and corroded the others, which in turn leaked... well you get the idea. Everything was mummified so there was little to no smell, but cleanup was still nasty and embarrasing, both. Since I've done similar things with cans in the past, and for longer, this leakage was a considerable surprise to me, not to say that it should have been. Word to the wise- rotate often!

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Some other points here. Inspect cans before putting them away for extended times. The most likely to leak can is anything with tomato in it. Store them away from other cans or better yet, can your own & store in mason jars.

JMO,
HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Dipping in wax isn't going to help if a can freezes, expands, & breaks seams. Wax easily cracks when cold.

Now, dipping in wax may help in a really humid environment but I think would be easier just to wrap them in plastic wrap.

JMO,
HH

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
. The most likely to leak can is anything with tomato in it.
Yep... I had a case of tomato juice in large cans (cheap stuff) leak/mold/mess/etc.

Huge PITA to clean up.

Rotate it regularly, inspect it often, and/or store dry goods and water separately, IMO.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Remember, there are acids in all tomato productsso if one leaks it will start immediately rusting any metal it touches including metal metal shelving.

A neighbor will not buy canned tomato products. She grows her own tomatoes or buys tomatoes if need be & makes everything & cans it. Mason jars don't leak though you could have a lid go bad but atleast you don't have the mess to clean up as with cans.

HH

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Mason Jars can last till the Rapture, if you're Christian. And Ragnarok if you're...Norse. They're just a little clunky by comparison.

There is nothing on this earth that is "leak-proof." Everything leaks at the molecular level. It then becomes a question of how much and what you're leaking and what it does when it starts leaking (i.e., become corrossive and leak even more?).

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweets, any chance any of those canned goods could have gotten frozen?
No real chance at all, despite my northern location. GI1

I suspect that the first can to go was full of fruit cocktail or perhaps sliced peaches, so there was probably a certain internal acid factor involved- I'm pretty sure the first can went from the inside. I mean, I must have looked in at least a couple of times over those years and I would have seen major rust on the outside. I did learn long ago not to long-term store anything with canned tomatos in it.

At least I didn't find the stuff like that when I really needed it and it couldn't be replaced. Lesson learned, version 87-C (2011).

And re freezing: I once read a warning to owners of hunting camps and so on that cans left to freeze might develop "micro-holes" and go bad. However I've eated from previously frozen cans and am still here- as with all canned goods, as long as you hear the vacuum sound upon opening, you know there's no problem. And freezing could lead to leaking, obviously.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
My oldest brother had the same experience with some stored can goods like you did. I try to keep an eye on the exparation date. Items with the earliest dates get used first. Some stuff can still be good a couple years after the date but I do not push it past that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dipping in wax isn't going to help if a can freezes, expands, & breaks seams. Wax easily cracks when cold.

Now, dipping in wax may help in a really humid environment but I think would be easier just to wrap them in plastic wrap.

JMO,
HH
If all the cans are dipped in wax they will be better protected should a few others leak for what ever reason.
And the wax does make them nearly rust proof.
Even here in western Pa. the humidity does rust the cans in most basement/root cellar/unheated room storage areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.