M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
The Surgeon used a Lazer to correct my astigmatism before he did the new lenses.
I paid extra for the "Better" Lens out of pocket.
I have 20/20 without Glasses now in my good eye, we won't talk about the other one but it is way than it was.
Can you check this out with your Dr or get a second opinion?
We did discuss this. Hard to explain but astigmatism generally is where lens is different curvature and focal point is not on lens. My lens is multiple waves. He felt surgery first and see if a hard contact lens might flatten the distortion or lazer later. Pretty much felt OK as my eyes have been bad all my life. The astigmatism correction in my glasses shifts periodically where I can sometimes swap to a different pair and see slightly better. Some of my other glasses are 15 - 20 years old (power only changes slightly). I am 71 and have never seen the big E without glasses.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I had both cataracts removed a few years back and my vison came back 20/20 for a while. Then a year or so later it started getting fuzzy again which concerned me greatly. I went back to the eye doc when my vison got so bad that I could not read the streaming news across the bottom on the news on Fox News from across the room. They used a lazer which only took a few minutes a couple of weeks apart and my sharp clear vision is back.

My doc told me that this only happens in a small percentage of patients but once it's taken care of it will never happen again. To say that I'm happy is the understatement of the ages. The state even took the glasses required restriction off of my drivers license. Now how cool is that at 70 years old. I felt nothing during any of this cataract business and there was zero pain or discomfort.

7th

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
...The state even took the glasses required restriction off of my drivers license. Now how cool is that at 70 years old. I felt nothing during any of this cataract business and there was zero pain or discomfort.
I'm with you! I just had my driver's license renewed. The clerk asked me where my glasses were, and I proudly said, "Let's have the test first." Sure felt good to ace it with no glasses!!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
A short update on my progress, I'm still on my diet, my blood sugar levels have stabilized at roughly a third of what they were. [averaging 110/120] . I go to my regular Dr. again next week for blood work and his blessing, then the following week for a pre-surgical meet with my eye surgeon, then on July 7th my 1st surgery[right eye]. I'm like many of you , I really don't remember not having to use glasses , having them from about the 3rd grade. I can't wait........

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
A short update on my progress, I'm still on my diet, my blood sugar levels have stabilized at roughly a third of what they were. [averaging 110/120] . I go to my regular Dr. again next week for blood work and his blessing, then the following week for a pre-surgical meet with my eye surgeon, then on July 7th my 1st surgery[right eye]. I'm like many of you , I really don't remember not having to use glasses , having them from about the 3rd grade. I can't wait........
Good luck and keep us posted as to how your adventures in cataract surgery progresses. It's a piece of cake.

7th

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The countdown is on

Well after a long wait, less than 20 hrs from now, Monday, July the 7th is the day for my master eye surgery, the diabetic cataract is fixing to take a hike and a new lens implanted. It took a little work to keep my sugars down , but once I was used to it , it's a "piece of cake". And I have the added benefit of feeling better, & no 3/4 trips to the john every night, Yes , that's not only a prostate symptom , but a diabetes symptom as well. For those of you that have diabetes in your family, are pre diabetic or have been diagnosed diabetic, Don't ignore it , you can go blind , or worse. I'll keep yall informed of my progress. thanks for all the replies, information, and support all of yall have given. Your a great bunch of guys..

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
We all stand by to get the good news Tuesday! I may be Hundreds of miles away but I am standing right beside you! Bona Furtuna!

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well after a long wait, less than 20 hrs from now, Monday, July the 7th is the day for my master eye surgery, the diabetic cataract is fixing to take a hike and a new lens implanted. It took a little work to keep my sugars down , but once I was used to it , it's a "piece of cake". And I have the added benefit of feeling better, & no 3/4 trips to the john every night, Yes , that's not only a prostate symptom , but a diabetes symptom as well. For those of you that have diabetes in your family, are pre diabetic or have been diagnosed diabetic, Don't ignore it , you can go blind , or worse. I'll keep yall informed of my progress. thanks for all the replies, information, and support all of yall have given. Your a great bunch of guys..
I will be thinking of you and you will be included in my morning prayer with our little prayer group.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I would figure Ray is already on AB Drops Pre-op.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Went in this morning at 11am and before 1pm I was on my way home. No discomfort at all with the procedure and it went by quick. Haven't had the opportunity to see through the implant yet, that's tomorrow at 11 am & believe me, I can't wait. I'll be back with more details tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
15:03 EDT 08/07/14 we need a SITREP!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ray,

All of my life I have been legally blind without my glasses. My doc told me late last year that I could not get a better eyeglasses prescription and that it was time to get cataract surgery.

I got the single vision lenses back in February. I was not a candidate for the multi-range lens implants, so I need reading glasses and computer glasses.

The cataract surgery was literally life-changing for me. I was leery of having eye surgery, but there was really nothing to it. The time in the operating room was about 15 minutes for each eye. I had my right eye done first and the left one two weeks later. I am 65 years old and I do not understand now why I waited so long. I can read the crawlers on the sports and news channels without glasses.

My doc also told me that I could continue to shoot my rifles now that my eyes have healed from the surgery. I am OK with my M1s and M14s, but I haven't yet shot any scoped rifles, so I'll have to get back to you on that. Doc did suggest no big-game rifles, but thought 30-06 and 308 shouldn't be a problem.

Don't be concerned about it, just do it. My vision improved dramatically as soon as the dilation wore off.

Also got my driver's license restrictions lifted!

Just do it.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Had some errands to do today & now I'm back . I had forgotten how much using only a single eye messes up your depth perception. Lord it does! After the Dr removed my patch today ,the first thing I noticed is the colors are so much brighter, the opaque cloud I was looking through is gone , my vision is still slightly not focused as my pupil is still is dilated somewhat from the surgery yesterday My Dr also said it can take up to a couple of weeks before my eye is totally acclimated to the new lens. I've noticed improvement since the patch came off 8hrs ago . Lines are straight with little if no fuzz around them I can read a license plate at 100/150ft , something I never could do before without glasses. I've also noticed I'm exactly opposite of what I was before the cataract I'm far-sighted in that eye now where it has been near-sighted my whole life , what a switch! I go back in in 3wks . I can't wait to try my rifles then. I'll keep this thread updated on my progress , and again Thanks to all of you, for sharing your experiences. Thanks to my Dr for her skill and Thanks to God for making us smart enough to be able to do things like this.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Farsighted...

How does that effect a magnified optic or iron sight.

I bet you can hit further out with a red dot though.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Farsighted...

How does that effect a magnified optic or iron sight.

I bet you can hit further out with a red dot though.
Near sighted means you can see good near but have trouble far away, Far sighted you see well far, but can't see well close. From what I can tell so far I can see the front sight better than I have with glasses before, even as a child. Haven't looked thru my scopes yet . Before the surgery I had to have them , just to see the target, now I'll probably set one of my rifles up for open sights and leave the scope on the other.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Remember you have one farsighted eye and one near sighted. I was walking around with one eye glass lens removed until the next week.
No shooting for you until the Dr says OK! I know you want to.
It only gets better from here.

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Ray one thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. Since I've had both of my cataracts removed, bright, dazzling sun light really kills my new eyes. I now keep a pair of sun glasses handy for when I'm driving. But over time even that seems to have gotten better or perhaps I've just gotten used to it. The best part of it is not having to ask where I put my lost eye glasses, which my poor bride still has to frequently do when she loses hers. Then too, not having to buy new glasses every few years is a very sweet bennie as well.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised that once you've recovered completely from having both of your eyes done. If you have a glasses required provision on your drivers license, your state may take it off if your eyes have improved as much as mine did. My eye doc filled out a form for me to take to the state and they took the glasses required provision off of my license.

Once both of my eyes were recovered from my surgeries... I couldn't help but wonder when did they start putting front sights back on 1911 pistols? Now when I shoot a pistol it's really nice to be able to have your eyes clearly focused on the front sight of your pistol when your'e on the range which means my handgun shooting skills are back the way they used to be. No more of that trying to get your front sight clearly focused in your vison, by shifting your head to get the best sight picture through those blased bifocal eye glasses.

7th

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
My HD Lens implants have UV protection but I still wear sun Glasses all the time because 1)The Sun is strong here and 2) because now I can after 50+ years with glasses. I just can't read a Head stamp so i have $5 .00 cheaters for reading.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.