M14 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thread alive
cataracts are worse now.
Saw a doc this am and he scheduled surgery for 3 Aug.11
The argument is payment and what lens,a multifocal or standard.
He told me direct a standard lens would be better for me for attitude and personality type,he sayud I am a type A,and would not be a good move for a multifocal.
Saw far today 2 hours,on computer,I have found nothing on the internet to support his claim.
I still do not understand it.
I want the best and multifocus seems to me the best.
I have been to see 2 docs,a doc Ming Wang in Nashville and Dr Richard Linnof eye spec group in Memphis.
Any ideas or doctors on board here,?
Difinately have to have something done and soon..

·
Registered
542 Posts
left eye was done last week ,on Wed .
So far so good,can see very well to drive and even read the screen with no glassess.
Very up close need magnifier ,but ,I could see nuthin before....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just had my right eye done-nothing short of miraculous.
I can see clearly for distance and down a pistol sight for the 1st tie in years.
I will need reading lenses for close up, but I can live with that.

Getting the left done soon and can hardly wait.

In and out in 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The basic premise with cataract surgery is that the ophthalmologist will select a lens with a diopter value that will let you work from one to four feet without glasses. They often miss by a foot or two. Then the doctor will prescribe a pair of bifocals that will fill in the missing capability. You can choose, of course, two pairs of glasses, one for reading and another for distance.

All replacement IOL lenses have problems, edge reflections, glistenings, glare, different focus points for different colors, etc. The multi-focal implants have many more visual artifacts than do the mono-focal lenses. Yes, they will allow you to read and drive passably without glasses during the day, but at night, lights and glare can wreak havoc with your vision.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes last December (two weeks between eyes) and chose mono-focal lenses. Best thing I’ve ever done. Mine came in a little too short sighted (I can read residential street signs at about 75 feet) but with corrective lenses, I can read and see at distance. The edge effect bothered me at first, but my brain has taught itself to ignore that for the most part. Ask your doctor for further info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to be having cataract surgery in the next month or so and was wondering if anyone could comment on what seeing changes I can expect with regard to shooting both pistol and rifle. My uncorrected vision now is R-20/25 and L-20/20-1. Also I am a right hand shooter while being left hand dom. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks
After having cataract surgery there may arise some side effects that can be cured easily. For the first few days you fell that irritation and blurriness but it will get fine within few days. I had the surgery 6 months back and now my eyes are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
The basic premise with cataract surgery is that the ophthalmologist will select a lens with a diopter value that will let you work from one to four feet without glasses. They often miss by a foot or two. Then the doctor will prescribe a pair of bifocals that will fill in the missing capability. You can choose, of course, two pairs of glasses, one for reading and another for distance.

All replacement IOL lenses have problems, edge reflections, glistenings, glare, different focus points for different colors, etc. The multi-focal implants have many more visual artifacts than do the mono-focal lenses. Yes, they will allow you to read and drive passably without glasses during the day, but at night, lights and glare can wreak havoc with your vision.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes last December (two weeks between eyes) and chose mono-focal lenses. Best thing I’ve ever done. Mine came in a little too short sighted (I can read residential street signs at about 75 feet) but with corrective lenses, I can read and see at distance. The edge effect bothered me at first, but my brain has taught itself to ignore that for the most part. Ask your doctor for further info.
Glad I saw this. I more had the ideal that implant lenses were the ideal solution for vision correction.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'm going to be having cataract surgery in the next month or so and was wondering if anyone could comment on what seeing changes I can expect with regard to shooting both pistol and rifle. My uncorrected vision now is R-20/25 and L-20/20-1. Also I am a right hand shooter while being left hand dom. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks
Break out a good pair of sunglasses: everything is gonna be BRIGHT. The loss is so gradual you are not going to believe the difference. CatSurg was the smartest thing I've done in a while. Enjoy!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been nearsighted all my life and have worn glasses since age 7y. Right hand/left eye dominant, I shoot long arms left handed, handguns right handed. Had my left lens replaced (cataract) with farsighted lens, no longer need glasses! Brain makes the connection. Able to see front sight and target with M1A/FAL. Can read,ect. Unfamiliar with scopes, trying to cope with reticle focus (look away or concentrate while adjusting ocular). Happy with results of surgery.

Jack

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I just had my eye (right) done about 4 hours ago - cataract surgery. Just the standard lens, and I will use glasses to see the front sight. You should always use glasses when shooting. I have a friend that just lost some vision (well it was a year ago, but the final diagnosis came thru this past week) in his eye from a .380 ruptured case and blow back. He always wore glasses, but he took them off to clear a jam, and then shot a couple of rounds without glasses , and bingo. He will always see a gray blob in the center of his vision from now on. It was just a little 380 pistol - not even his, he just cleared it for another person, but it cost him his eye - crazy world.

I am getting the other eye (left) done next, either on the 14th or 21st of December. (Waiting for a cancellation for the 14th. I hope the sooner the better) Insurance $2500 deductible has been met for the year, and it has to be done or it will cost e more money.

·
Registered
747 Posts
To add something to this older thread, I also have mild astigmatism but in addition to that cataracts have been forming over the last five years. About a month ago I had my right eye done with the elective laser procedure. It is about $1500 per eye more expensive, but may be worth it for the precision of the work and the lesser amount of energy transmitted to your eye.

The surgeon used to laser to correct a lot of my mild astigmatism as well as remove the old lens. Since them, my right eye vision has been brighter and I can (under most circumstances) read a lot of material without the assistance of glasses. I am certainly pleased with the results but am likely to have to sight in anything I shoot to reflect the new eye condition.

My left eye was done around 7:00 AM today and I am still wearing the plastic shield so things are distorted somewhat. If I remove the shield, the light is brighter but the letters are somewhat blurry. However, I have hopes that this will improve. The doctor will check my eye in the morning and then I am likely to know how much (if any) better the eye is anticipated to get. Full recovery is generally several weeks but it went faster for my right eye. I hope that the left eye is similar with respect to recovery time.

Note that I elected to use the standard lens in both eyes. I did not need the astigmatism correcting lens since mine was relatively mild. I discussed the near/far lens with the surgeon but he said that there were some problems with this lens under specific lighting conditions. Some people get auras using this lens and that does not work very well when looking through sights. I was also not very impressed with the additional $3000 per eye for the near/far lens. If I need to do so, I will get reading glasses.

Nelson

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Long story short I had a bad Astigmatism in both eyes and after Retina surgery I got a cataract. I had Acrosof Len's put in both eyes and Lazer correction done for Astigmatism. Both were corrected to 20/20. I need $3.00 cheaters to use the Laptop but I can see the Open sights on my M1A and M4 and shoot Pistol with no problem. I did pay something like $2800 to $3000 (I paid the upgrade out of pocket) but after wearing Glasses for 39 years i considered it worth it! Besides I went from being blind in one eye to 20/20 so I am a happy camper!
Just make sure you have a good Surgeon for whatever way you choose to go!

·
Registered
747 Posts
As a follow up to my most recent post, I went back to the doctor Wednesday morning and my left eye vision is already back to somewhere between 20/30 to 25/20 about 24 hours post surgery. I can expect things to improve somewhat over the next week or two. The laser surgery option is working out well for me.

Nelson

·
Registered
515 Posts
My shooting vision was essentially ruined for iron sighted rifles, but last month I had my shooting eye cleaned by the Yag laser, and it restored quite a bit of clarity to my eyes. The double images, shadows and spider webs are gone.

I was just about to sell my last iron sighted NM upper, but I may even give it a try the next high power match.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My final post operative check after cataract surgery on both eyes is on July 31 and I will post the results after that date. My current impression is that vision has greatly improved, astigmatism is lessened, and colors are brighter. I hope to do some shooting in the next week or two to really test everything out with the improved eyes.

Nelson

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.