M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be having cataract surgery in the next month or so and was wondering if anyone could comment on what seeing changes I can expect with regard to shooting both pistol and rifle. My uncorrected vision now is R-20/25 and L-20/20-1. Also I am a right hand shooter while being left hand dom. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Eye Master
3,943 Posts
Eye dominance is usually a brain thing, so I would not expect much there.

THe thing about cateract surgery is that the lens they put in is fixed at one focal point, whereas you are used to being able to change your lens focal length in order to focus on near stuff, or far stuff. THey will give you several options as to what lens you want to put in. One option is to go for one that focusses at distance, you lose your close-up and need to use reading glasses for anything nearby. This gives you the greatest range of focus (from about 10 feet away out to infinity), and is the best for eg driving. When you shoot, you will have extreme difficulty seeing the front sight, and will need to use a lens in the rear sight, or glasses to be able to get your focus right.

Another option is to put in a lens that focusses at 4 feet from you. Distance will be a little blurry, but tolerable, and the near stuff won't be as blurry. A lot of people go for this option. Interestingly, when you do the optical math for vision and an M-1 (ie the front sight distance relative to a target), the optical optimum for focus turns out to be just about 4 feet. So if you elect to get a 4 foot lens in your shooting eye, your shooting vision ought to be great with no corrective lens needed.

Another option is to put a far focus lens in one eye, and a near focus in the other, and train your brain to be left or right switching, based on if you are looking at something near or far.

You'll want to discuss these with your doctor, but just keep in mind that there is that shooting benefit for the 48" focus lens in the shooting eye.

After the surgery, contact me and I can walk you through the math to get the right lens to tune your focus from the replacement lens you chose to the focal length you need for shooting.

Art

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Art for the info. This certainly gives me a lot to think about. My Dr told me that I was a candidate for a lens that allows you to see far, intermediate and near. However these cost an additional $2,500/eye. They are called ReSTOR by Acrysof. The standard lenses are covered by my insurance, so I'll probably go with them. Thanks again for the info and I will get back after surgery. Ernie

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I don't know about the ReStore lenses, but a friend who had the surgery has lenses that allow him to see near & far and is happy with them for everyday use.
I think his lenses are 'hard' and do the dual distance by having both corrections in the lense.

BUT, the lense caused a big problem when he tried shooting with rifle aperture (round hole) sights.
He said the lenses caused him to see multiple concentric circles - instead of a regular sight picture.
He had to stop using the aperture sights, and now he shoots with a scope (very successfully).

He had the surgery about 2-3 years ago.
I think there are now 'soft' lenses that can somewhat adjust for viewing distance similar human lense.

I suggest that you tell your eye doc about what you need for shooting (and all other non-typical activities) - microscope, telescope, music stand, etc.
You should probably also try doing your own online research about the specific type of lense(s) that he suggests.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jay for your input. I've started and will continue to research this before commiting to a specific lense. I've briefly looked at the info on Jay7's sight re rectangular rear sights. I plan to follow up more on this and other options. Thanks. Ernie

·
Eye Master
3,943 Posts
Jay,

The ReStore lenses are diffractive lenses, like the new Microsight that has been introduced for the Service Rifle. I suspect that is how most multi-focus cateract lenses work.

I find your comment about diffractive lenses not working with aperture sights intrigueing. As I understand it, the Microsight is used in conjunction with a 0.040" aperture, and remember reading that it is important to use exactly that size aperture. Perhaps your friend needs to experiment with different aperture sizes, to eliminate the issues he is seeing. I have not seen a microsight, so perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but your observation seems to support that a diffractive lens is not necessarily the most robust solution for shooting.

Art

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just had 2 Restor lenses put in. Before I could see pretty well at computer distance, everything else was out of focus and very distorted. After the surgery I can see 20/15 at distance, reasonably good close up, but computer distance I need reading glasses. Not sure it's going to do my shooting any good, I see "shadows" or duplicate images around the front sight, and my space gun is even worse, I see the multiple concentric circles as well. I did order an adjustable diopter for the space gun, and a +1 pair of shooting glasses, but did not get it yet. Only shot once (with my NM service rifle and just regular shooting glasses) a week after the surgery, and shot a 92 offhand, somewhere in the 90's rapid, but my slow prone sucked. My eyes are getting better and better, so maybe it will resolve itself over time. The only real negative is that in some stores, I can see the fluorescent lights flicker at different frequencies, and it drives me nuts. I also see halos driving at night, but I had them before, the halos are just different now.MCORPS1

I would still recommend the Restor. I paid $2000 an eye for them.

·
Eye Master
3,943 Posts
Mr. Horrible,

Do please update once you get the adjustable diopter. I am very curious how that will work to resolve your issues.

As mentioned above, there might be a sensitivity to aperture size with a diffractive lens, so if your spacegun has an adjustable iris, try adjusting through the entire range to see if it resolves your front sight distortion, or eliminates the ghost rings you are seeing.

I ran the math on diffractive lenses, and found the first interference ring for a 30" front sight to be at 0.072" diameter, which is almost 2mm. Not sure of your barrel length, or if my math applies to an implanted lens (I assumed it was external), but my point is that there might be an optical optimum at a size larger than you would think.

Art

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I had both eyes done in the last 3 years and only wear readers to read. I don't know what kind they are but they work whether shooting pistol or rifle. I'll look at the script and let ya' know.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Had one eye done last year and vision went from 20/100 or so to 20/20. But for reading corrective lenses are still required.

No effect on service rifle events as I'm left handed and use my left eye.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

I had my surgery in my right eye about 10 days ago and everything turned out fine. My vision was and still is 20/25 in that eye and the glare is gone and everything is much brighter and colorful. I did get the standard lense but have not been shooting yet. Now, this is my dilemma. My left eye is 20/20 but needs surgery because of the cataract glare and cloudiness. It isn't terrible but bad enough that my insurance will cover it. I asked if after the surgery, I would still be 20/20 in that eye. The Dr will not garantee that will be the case. So do I go ahead with the surgery or for now leave well enough alone? At this point I think I can live with the left eye as is but wish I could clear up the cloudiness and glare while keeping my 20/20 vision in this eye.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had astigmatism my whole life. Had both eyes done for cataracts about a year and a half ago. 20/20 right eye, 20/10 left eye. I need reading glasses for anything closer than 2 feet or so. My vision out to infinity is great. I'm a happy man.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pleased to hear yours turned out so well. I have decided to go ahead with the surgery for the left eye. I'm having it done on the 23rd. Can't wait to get back to some shooting. I guess I'll be starting from ground zero.

·
Registered
25 Posts
kal47, I hope all goes well. My MD won't do cataract surgery until you get up to 20/60 or so. The cloudiness of the cataract alone will reduce visual acuity until you reach that 20/60, or whatever threshold YOUR Dr. uses to determine when he'll operate.
Skip

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the surgey on the 23rd. So far I am extremely pleased with the turnout. My sight in the left eye is much better than I anticipated. I only wished my right eye turned out as well. I currently shoot with my right eye. I'll deal with that a little later. I have a follow-up visit in a week, and both eyes will be measured for vision etc. I'll get back with the results. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Any suggestions on doc who would do this surgery on payment plan or trade for a couple of M 1 A rifles?
Prefer Ms or Tn

·
Registered
145 Posts
Let's try and keep the thread alive.. I'm looking down that path eventually as well.. Ron

·
Registered
542 Posts
I googled as soon as i read the thread.

right now I am searching for a doc,and am sure we can turn one up.
I like the idea of the flex lens to see near and far....
At this point almost any thing would be an improvement.
Also I have read of some good properties of several different supplaments,to help prevent,and slow catarct progression.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts