M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Sinclair trimmer, had it set for 2.005, trimmed a few cases, measured them to double check, they verified 2.005. Now, I start trimming more cases, check the few more I trimmed and they are coming out at 2.0025, 2.001, 2.000! Tried to zero the trimmer to no avail.
My question is......is too short of a case length dangerous? All the reloading books say to trim to 2.005. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
547 Posts
No , that is not to short. The Sinclair trimmer , if you push the cutter to hard into the case , it will cut a little short. Try not to go to fast. You can feel it stop trimming.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Continued....

Is the length too short? I've seen other guys on this site trim to 2.008, 2.007 and such but never read about someone trimming and shooting with a case length of 2.00, 2.001 or 2.002. I'm just wondering if it's dangerous or not.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Trim length is somewhat arbitrary. It's typically what, Max length minus 10 or 15 thou?

I cut mine back to 2.00. Keep in mind that there will always be variability in everything you do. But just because you measure it doesn't mean that it makes a difference in where the bullet goes. I'm not familiar with the Sinclair one, but the consistency of many of the tools we use is directly related to how consistently you operate it. Pay attention to what you do and do it the same.

In reality, your variability is negligible and pretty typical. I'd have no concerns shooting it at Camp Perry. Consider that the bearing surface of the case neck is ~ 0.3" Your variability (under 0.002") is under 1%.

My advice is to set the trimmer, make sure it's adequate, and then forget about it. Chasing an exact specific number isn't making your ammo any better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone! Just looking to be safe and being new to reloading, I thought it to be prudent to ask those who know more about reloading to give me honest and knowledgeable answers. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For my .308 trimming I have my Giraud set to 2.007 to give me some extra room on either side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts