M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got into big bore long distance shooting with my M1A topped with a Smith Industries rail and a Nikon M 308. My buddies in the sniper community tell me that the round to use is the Federal Match King 168 gr BTHP. The told me that when I find a round that works well, buy up all of that lot number to keep consistent. I was fortunate enough to find this ammo at Academy. It shot well, but by the time I got back to the store, the only ammo of my type was sold and another lot number was on the ammo they had
My question is this : Same rifle, same bullet, same powder (I hope) and same casing. What is the difference in lots of ammo from Federal and if there is, how much variance can I expect at 100 meters ? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
My experience is that 175 - 178 grain bullet performs better than the 168 at long range (800+ yards), if you are shooting at ranges less than that then stick with the 168.

In my opinion you wont find much difference from lot to lot with the current Federal loads unless they make a major change in any of their components. I'd guess that if they were to do that then you'd probably have to make some small changes to your drop information but then your updated data would hold until they made another major change in their cartridges. More often than not the changes in weather will cause more variation than any changes from lot to lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.