M14 Forum banner

Carlos Hathcock signed M40!

1816 14
I was extremely lucky this week and was able to purchase another original USMC M40, but this one was signed by Carlos Hathcock during an event in 1992!

Here's my 2 M40's, the top one is Major Dick Culver's rifle, the bottom one is the rifle I just acquired:

All matching serial numbers and a 7.62 NATO marked barrel. The location of the markings on the scope and base are odd, I've never seen these parts engraved in these locations on early 6 digit rifles. I've also never seen a 7.62 marked barrel on a 221xxx serial number range rifle either. This could either be an anomaly or a rebuilt gun, I'll be spending a lot of time trying to figure this one out! Either way, the parts are all original and the receiver is original. There are specific characteristics to look for in the receiver and it would be extremely difficult to fake even if you knew what to look for.

Here's a close up of the signature:

Here's a link to the original listing if you want to see what other items came with the rifle, some better photos and a short video of Carlos signing the rifle:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/...er-rifle-signed-by-carlos-hathcock-30701.html
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spectacular!! Congrats... (y)(y)(y)(y)
Did you ever find an original XM177E2 barrel you were looking for?
Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't found a real barrel, but my friend who's helping me with the project says he can make me one.

Those are AWESOME! I have something similar, but different.

View attachment 462864
View attachment 462865
View attachment 462863
I've seen you post that one before, it's a really nice rifle! That M70 marksman stock is very nice, I have a few that I need to build into USMC sniper clones. I also know of another USMC sniper used marksman stock might become available soon........

· Premium Member
5,889 Posts
Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't found a real barrel, but my friend who's helping me with the project says he can make me one.

I've seen you post that one before, it's a really nice rifle! That M70 marksman stock is very nice, I have a few that I need to build into USMC sniper clones. I also know of another USMC sniper used marksman stock might become available soon........
Please check your PMs. 😉

· Registered
26 Posts
I was extremely lucky this week and was able to purchase another original USMC M40, but this one was signed by Carlos Hathcock during an event in 1992!

Here's my 2 M40's, the top one is Major Dick Culver's rifle, the bottom one is the rifle I just acquired:

All matching serial numbers and a 7.62 NATO marked barrel. The location of the markings on the scope and base are odd, I've never seen these parts engraved in these locations on early 6 digit rifles. I've also never seen a 7.62 marked barrel on a 221xxx serial number range rifle either. This could either be an anomaly or a rebuilt gun, I'll be spending a lot of time trying to figure this one out! Either way, the parts are all original and the receiver is original. There are specific characteristics to look for in the receiver and it would be extremely difficult to fake even if you knew what to look for.

Here's a link to the original listing if you want to see what other items came with the rifle, some better photos and a short video of Carlos signing the rifle:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/...er-rifle-signed-by-carlos-hathcock-30701.html
I had finished mine before leaving Quantico.
Cut and chambered a Varmint Contour Douglas barrel and bedded pillars into the stock. It's probably my favorite hunting rifle and I ended up using the Leupold Redfield reproduction on it and I was pretty impressed with the glass.

· Registered
9 Posts

Got to meet Gunny Hathcock at the HGCA show in Houston several years ago. Bought a signed copy of Marine Sniper. It was an honor to meet him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.