M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know about other places but our local post office you can donate items to be sent to our troops that are in harm's way. In the post office is a wall of locals that are stationed there along with the thank you letters from our troops.
Local people donate & the postal workers package & pay for the shipping from their own pocket.
Once a month I have been donating a box of ziplock sandwich bags, box a ziplock freezer bags, & can of Gatoraide. Ya, its a few dollars & I'm on a fixed income but I feel a really good way to let them know someone back home cares.
HuntingHawk

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went for groceries last night & $20 worth of stuff that'll be dropped off at the post office to be combined with other donations & sent to our troops in Iraq &/or Afganistan.

HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Friday when I dropped that stuff off at the post office the lady acted like I had done some great thing.
Depending on donations they send 4-6 boxes at a time to our Hometown Heros. The thanks you letters all have one thing in common & that's the thank you for powdered drinks. I don't know what was all in previous care packages though.
I'll do another donation in about two weeks.
HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped at the post office to mail some packages today. Lady that served me was the same one that I had dropped stuff off to. She said last week a lady was in line to get stamps & looked at the wall with the Hometown Heros & handed her a fifty dollar bill for "mechandise or whatever for our troops." I think that's awesome.
Staci said two boxes went out last Friday. I told her four will go out this week as I'm setting up four individual packages & just need a few more things for them.
HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dropped off four bags with identical items in each.
I was surprised to count 29 names on the wall for Hometown Heros. That's alot for such a small community. But I suspect about a third are from the county reservist unit that was sent over.
HH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.