M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this title on Turner Classic Movies, they're airing it right now. David Marshall Williams, played by Jimmy Stewart, was the convicted moonshiner serving hard time who "invented the operating system" for the M1? It wasn't Garand himself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbine_Williams

·
Administrator
17,407 Posts
It's a good movie....

DI5

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
The M14 utilizes a short stroke gas system, which can be traced back to Williams initial concept.

The M1 Garand was long stroke.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Williams also invented the two piece chamber used in the 45 Service Ace.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think he got a job with Winchester after prison if I remember correctly.
The movie ended that way. Said he had about 60 patents too. Has to be a pretty unique story, a man actually allowed to build his own semi auto rifle from scrap metal while in prison. I missed the beginning, so I hope TCM'll run it again before too very long.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Saw it many years ago and liked it alot.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have it in my collection. It was well done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd read an article about him once, turns put that his involvement in the development of the carbine was minimal, he basically had the initial design but real engineers finished it. Same article also stated he did go to work for Winchester. , but he was considered very difficult to work with and possibly had a drinking problem. The two piece breech was actually his greatest accomplishment as it was also used for sub caliber artillery devices

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Correct, and the movie doesn't portray him as the inventor of the M1 Carbine, just his accomplishments in developing a short-stroke piston operation.

He did work for Winchester, though, and Winchester did design the M1 Carbine in record time, with a LOT of people.

Garand probably still had more basic design influence on the Carbine than Williams or anyone else did.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
What part did he use the Tractor spring for?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pretty much anything mil-spec has "M1" in it somewhere. And "a". And multiples of both.......

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
In today's world , his record would probably disqualify him from working in the arms industry. Just as John Browning's lack of a formal engineering degree would get him passed over.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Was at the Cody center this week And they have m1 carbine# 1000001. ( number 1) On display and a little bit about Williams. They leave off the jail part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts