M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some quick advice, have read many posts here. I have a walnut carbine stock from Boyds. I love the brownish red look and got some feibings dye to play with, and some walnut slats. I tried the straight mahogany and it looks real close to what I want. Anyone one else use that color or some combination? also wondering how the different oils will affect it's final color. Looking for more of an original smoothness and a satin/matte finish. Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Use boiled linseed oil. Oiling the stock will make it darker. Suggest you apply some to a small area inside before dyeing. Be mindful when staining that the stock will darken significantly upon oiling.

Never used Feibings dyes, only TransTint wood dyes. I suggest to go slow. I prefer my stains pretty dilute so multiple coats are required to achieve the desired results. This way I cannot dye the stock too dark. Once these dye molecules penetrate into the wood the only way to get them out is to sand the wood down. Not really what you want to do.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Use boiled linseed oil. Oiling the stock will make it darker. Suggest you apply some to a small area inside before dyeing. Be mindful when staining that the stock will darken significantly upon oiling.

Never used Feibings dyes, only TransTint wood dyes. I suggest to go slow. I prefer my stains pretty dilute so multiple coats are required to achieve the desired results. This way I cannot dye the stock too dark. Once these dye molecules penetrate into the wood the only way to get them out is to sand the wood down. Not really what you want to do.
+1! Although I prefer Pure Tung Oil (PTO).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stain

Thanks guys, I figure after the staining I will have the fight with myself about oilsGI1. Since the first post I have been trying some combinations. In Feibings, I tried the british tan then laid mahogany over it with a quick wipe off. It seemed to lighten it up just a bit but still a great brown with the red hints. Probably stupid question but is it best to mix the dyes or do a base and then coat over it with another color. I think I have seen both ways done in this forum. Any reason one is better than another?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts