M14 Forum banner

Carbine free float vs drop in

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  leid 
#1 ·
Alright after much thinking, I'm where I began.
I've got a 16" AR and am considering putting a rail on it. The only accessories I'll be placing in it is a AFG, light and eventually some sort of red dot (which actually be mounted on the receiver anyways) . Being that it's only a 16" bbl and this weapon would predominantly used for plinking, CQB (if ever needed), would a free float really make that much of a difference?
My thoughts are since I won't be shooting long range or competing pinpoint accuracy shouldn'e be a issue. I'm thinking maybe 50-75 yards anything longer and I've got my trustee M1A's
Now I've read on a few different forums that the drop-ins tend to wigggle around a bit. Would that amount of wiggle be of concern in my situation?

What say you?

#2 ·
If you dont mind the extra weight the ff rails are very nice. They provide nice solid attachment points and better grouping. I guess what you would have to decide is if the weight and added cost are worth the effort. I have ARs with both ff and standard hgs and for most situations the standard hg with an attached rail works just fine.

#3 ·
Just a personal preference, but I don't like it when the gun has parts the "wiggle" around. If your upper/lower fit is good, so that the gun doesn't feel loose there, the addition of a ff handguard will give you accessory mounting options, beyond the benefits of free floating the barrel, while still maintaining that solid one piece feel. If you were to go with a key mod type, the weight will probably not be much different than what you are replacing (not counting weight of the accessories you mount), and they really aren't very difficult to install.

#4 ·
KAC or Troy quad rail system would be enough, if you're measuring by NEED. It might wiggle very slightly but that's no matter if your sight(s) sit back on the upper receiver's rail. The only way it'd make a difference in shooting would be if you wanted to put an optical sight way forward near the front sight. In that case something like Daniel Defense's (Colt 6940) free-floated rails and dedicated barrel nut would be advisable. Current standard issue quad rail for the GI M4's with the newer barrel is non-free-floated.

#5 ·
Free float rails can weigh considerably less than quad rails. For instance, the KMR (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR13-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr13.htm) weighs in at 7.7 oz, 2.2 oz of which are in the new barrel nut that you install.

The Knight's Armament RAS (http://www.knightarmco.com/portfoli...commercial&term=rails&features=m4-carbine-ras) which is what gets slapped on the front end of M4s in the field weighs 11.6oz, which doesn't include the barrel nut.

Even a Magpul MOE carbine handguard (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG440/184) weighs 6.85 oz, again, not counting the barrel nut.

The idea that FF handguards are "heavy" is complete nonsense.

Now, do you need a FF handguard or a RAS (or any drop-in quad rail for that matter)? Probably not. You can just attach pic rails to the MOE handguard for your light and AFG and save yourself a lot of money and work on the gun. If you're not worried about "single jagged hole" accuracy than a FF rail is just a waste of money.

#7 ·
The Daniel Defense Omega rail (not the Omega X) is a free float that requires no modification to the rifle and that can be installed without removing the front sight post or barrel nut. It was designed for military users who needed a solid free float rail and works quite well.

#8 ·
The MOE handguards I've seen show no movement on the rifle(I suppose there might be some but you can't feel it or see it). If the rifle is tight otherwise I think you'll be well served with a Magpul. You'll still be good for anything inside 300 yards.....except maybe flies!

#9 ·
Magpul moe is the way to go you can add or take things off without the aluminum rail needing covers, that's if you are not young to ff the barrel! And the moe has one heck of a heat shield in it, very nice and light. That's the way I went and would go again!

#13 ·
The magpul slap on hand guard does not wiggle at all on my stag model 2. The KAC rail system did not wiggle at all on my service rifle either. I have a couple sets and plan on putting one on the stag soon.

Reactions: Whatsinaname181
#14 · (Edited)
All of my AR's sport KAC rails. They are pretty rock solid. There is a clamp and set screw that secure the upper portion of the rail system to the gas tube and there is no movement whatsoever on my service guns or my personal weapons. The lower portions stay put pretty well too. I will add that among many of the other rail systems Ive tried over the years, I feel the KAC to be the best for a utility/fighting rifle. Its also noticeably lighter than many others ive tried. Makes a huge difference when youre running the gun or packing it around.

I primarily run a Colt 6921 M4 upper with a KAC and its an absolute nail driver with those rails on. Maybe im sacrificing just a bit of accuracy, but she's rock solid out to 600 with this set up.

This is a 100 meter group firing using an A3 handle and Wolf WAP 62gr ammo from my Colt 6921 (yes its 16.1 pinned and welded)

#15 ·
I ran a FOBUS quadrail hand guard set that replaced the standard HG's on my duty rifle for several years with great results. Eventually I switched over to a Yankee Hills Machine custom free float HG that is round and smooth and allows me to add rails only where I need them. It also works well and fits my hands better. My hands are small so the round HG fits me better.

I swapped the stock HG's on my back up rifle out for the FOBUS HG's and they work well for that purpose.

I've tried various accessories on my HG's such as white lights, sling mounts, forward grips and bipods. I only run a white light and a sling mount on my guns now and the YHM custom HG works very well for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.