M14 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Optical correction so I can see the front sight again

I can only repeat what I started this thread with. I am/was far-sighted. I had Lasik surgery done 8 years ago. The first couple of years was great! I had 20-15 distance vision, but I had to wear 2.0 readers to read. Gradually my eyes changed, which my surgeon didn't tell me would happen, and I ended up having a "tune-up" done by the same surgeon. My eyes corrected back to 20-25. He was happy, I wasn't, but unfortunately that is the life-time limit on elective vision correction surgery on my eyes. Further surgery could damage my eyes. So, I've got glasses now, and of all backward things, I can see across the room better now, than when I wear my glasses.

And I still cannot even remotely focus on the front sight.

If the safety glasses with the +0.75 diopter correction will work I'll buy them. I would like to shoot irons with my M1A until I can purchase the $3K Nightforce. If the +0.5 diopter correction will work I'll buy those.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
The glasses you want are +0.50 more than your distance correction. So start with your most recent distance correction, add +0.50, and get those glasses. Note that if you are nearsighted, your distance correction will be a negative number (eg -1.00), so adding +0.50 to -1.00 will result in -0.50.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I had my cataracts removed and my vision came back perfect, that is until a year or two later when it began to get so bad that I could not read the Fox News scrolling across the TV 25' across the room. Which I could until my vision began going South again. I went back to my eye Doc and he scheduled me to have one eye Lasered to remove a film that built up on the inside of the new lens.

Then a few weeks later they did the same to my other eye. I had the cataracts removed in my mid 60s and I am now 74 and happy as can be with my vision. The State also removed the "glasses required" restriction from my drivers license once I took a form my eye Doc filled out for me.

My eye Doc told me that some people have to have this procedure done and others do not. But from now on out, my vision will remain the same for the rest of my life, baring some unforeseen problem cropping up.

I can now read the Bible and see the front sights on my pistols as clearly as I could fifty years ago. Cataracts are slow and grow over time so that the changes in your vision go unnoticed. Get your eyes checked and you too might just get as lucky as I did.

7th

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im going to buy one of the .25 glasses...I had tried this awhile back with some cheap reading glasses on the advice of my Optometrist as I was complaining about arms length focus on my front sight. I only need a basic reading glass, my distance vision is just fine. I didn't like them...I bought too much power, something like 1.75, I think, and while my sights where crystal clear and perfect, the target was completely obliterated...couldn't see a thing past the sights LOL

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have extended wear contacts. I am doing the split vision deal where one eye sees long and one eye sees short. My brain puts it all together. I have been doing this now for about ten years. Four years ago I changed. I wanted my right eye to be short and left long. I had no problem with the change. This really helped me with pistol iron sights. Where this gets complicated is when you try to see a 100 yard target alignment with rifle iron sights.

Each to his own.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
When I hit fifty I got +.50 glasses from Zenni Optical to help bring the front sight into focus. I now have the Bob Jones inserts added to the NM hooded aperture and can use regular safety glasses.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My prescription

Your answer is to take your distance prescription and add the +0.50 or +0.75. While this will blur distance just slightly, the focus you gain on the sight is much greater than the focus you lose on the target.

If you want to email me your prescription, or post it here, I'd be happy to go through the math with you.
The optometrist who fit wrote my prescription 2 years ago has left town about 1 year ago. I don't know what it is. I need to go get new glasses anyway. My vision has changed again, but this time for the better. At TV viewing distance 15' ~ 20', with my glasses off the screen, closed captioning, everything is crystal clear. My glasses just screw up the view. When I get a new prescription I'll send it to you.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
Yeah, the +0.50 and +0.75 numbers I posted are to be added to a current distance prescription. If you do not need distance vision correction, you just use +0.50 or +0.75 lenses. If you do have distance correction, no matter how small, you may as well take that number and add the +0.50 to it.

But the prescription has to be current to start.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Im going to buy one of the .25 glasses...I had tried this awhile back with some cheap reading glasses on the advice of my Optometrist as I was complaining about arms length focus on my front sight. I only need a basic reading glass, my distance vision is just fine. I didn't like them...I bought too much power, something like 1.75, I think, and while my sights where crystal clear and perfect, the target was completely obliterated...couldn't see a thing past the sights LOL
Well that's not all bad since we learned in handgun basics, your rear sight is supposed to be fuzzy, your front sight crystal clear in your vision, and the target fuzzy... :)

7th

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Haven't forgotten

The glasses you want are +0.50 more than your distance correction. So start with your most recent distance correction, add +0.50, and get those glasses. Note that if you are nearsighted, your distance correction will be a negative number (eg -1.00), so adding +0.50 to -1.00 will result in -0.50.
Hey Art,

I haven't forgotten you. I haven't made to my optometrist to get my current prescription. As I noted in my last post, abruptly, about 3 months ago, my vision began to improve. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I had prosthetic lenses implanted that had some correction built into them as well as an anti-glare coating. I have pretty good night vision. Even now my eyes will dilate to 8mm.

·
Registered
685 Posts
deciphering for choosing iron sight glasses

So here is my recent vision prescription. I'm looking at a pair of Elvex Rx-500 full lens magnifier glasses for shooting with iron sights. What would I want for my full length Natl Match M1A, would it be different for my Scout Squad, or my AR15. I figure from reading here that I might need multiple sets of glasses for different front sight distances. I'm suffering from 57 year old eyes. I use 1.5 reading glasses, I can get by without but it is a real struggle. I don't need anything to be comfortable at distance viewing. I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks, I hope this isn't asking too much here.

______________Sphere_____Cylinder___Axis
DV_____OD_____+1.00_____-0.25_____020
_______ OS_____+0.25_____-0.25_____110
NV_____OD_____+2.00
________OS_____+2.00

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try painting your front sight with your bright color of choice. Then scratch a thin line at a 45 degree angle from the middle left to the lower right of the FSP.

I read about the technique and it helped today at the range. If you can see the line clearly, your eyes are focused on the FSP.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.