M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 728 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A thread we don't have yet is on canning which for many is a staple of their food stores as well as grain & beans put away.

Canning can be putting up jellies & jams with wax on the top of them. It can also be a great way to put away stuff from the garden. Either of those can be done in what is called a water bath (big pot).

However, most don't know that you can also cann meat. However, you want a pressure cooker for that. Pressure cooker to put the jars in allows for higher temperature. Canning meats is where you want large mouth jars because of the size of the pieces of meat.

Well, one of the cheapest pieces of meat to buy is chicken leg quarters which are thigh & legs & here cost $.69/lb. So that is what I am going to be looking at doing next month with help from my neighbor.

Now, there are basicaly two ways to cannmeat. Partially cook before canning or do what is called raw pack. Just a matter of having to cann longer for raw pack but overall takes less time. Doing chicken leg quarters, going to have to cut them at the joint to separate legs & thighs.

So, what does precooked chicken give you? Got rice? Chicken & rice made fairly quickly. Got noodles? Chicken ala king. And there are plenty more easy dishes you can make.

HH

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I'm seriously interested in getting started to can just about everything this coming year, including meat. I just ordered this book:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book-Guide-Preserving/dp/0972753702/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2WMFQQ539DYJN&colid=1YK7N7FQH9HXO[/ame]

It's the Ball (the folks that make the jars) guide and it seems to include info on the different methods you mentioned. I can do a quick review when it shows up. Hope to have our pantry filled up for next winter.

Regards, Jim

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's one of the best canning sites I have found. Plenty of stuff on youtube also.
http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-chicken.html#axzz1luDQIz1W

Don't forget yard sales & such for jars. I just wouldn't buy anything other then Ball or Kerr. Especially not buy the Manning from China, my main concern being fit of rings.

Remember with canning, the best place to store is the coolest place.

HH

·
Registered
566 Posts
Check with your local county extension agent. They should have a lot of info on canning. I know the ones here in Mississippi do. My g/f is one and had to attend a canning class at Mississippi State last month.

Marty

·
Registered
751 Posts
The County Extension Service here operates a county canning center, with large commercial size pressure retorts, where people can bring their fresh produce or meats and can it in regular tin cans, or in canning jars. The county runs it as a service, and the only cost is the cost of the cans, which are relatively inexpensive.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The more I do research the more I'm impressed with what can be canned if done properly. Soups & stews for a start. I think small jars of chili with or without beans is a good option.

HH

·
Registered
35 Posts
Howdy fellow canners :)

I've recently got started with canning. Mostly meat, but some meat and vegetables together.

If I'm just putting away meat only, I raw pack. If its the meat and vegetables together it's different. In that case I brown the meat and bring the vegetables to a boil, then add to the hot jars.

The Ball Blue Book was a great source of information to me.

I'm not an expert, but if anyone has a question I'd be happy to share what little I know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the forum Hungry1. Pics of some of your stores, recipes, & methods you've used to can certain items might help motivate some others.

HH
Thanks HH

Here's a pic of some of the jars I put up.

I prefer to use the pint size jars, they hold about 1 lb of meat. That's a good sized meal for me.

I usually have the meat on rice, I store a fair amount of that too. Matter of fact I didn't feel like cooking last night and had canned beef veg stew on rice for dinner. Delicious hearty meal, ready in the time it takes to make rice.

I've found that chicken and pork end up being kind of mushy after processing. I've had really good results with the tougher cuts of beef.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you check your Ball book, I think you will find mushy meat means overcooked.
Remember that even after pulled out of the pot that meat is still cooking.

I've gotten to where I want to learn to cann to free up freezer space. Can store alot more in jars then in small freezers.

HH

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
Its funny you should bring this up, I was just at Walmart here in LV and they have added a whole canning section. I have never seen any thing for canning here before and I have lived here since 1967. We do have a lot of Mormon folk here, not that I have a problem with that.

Casey

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you check your Ball book, I think you will find mushy meat means overcooked.
Remember that even after pulled out of the pot that meat is still cooking.

I've gotten to where I want to learn to cann to free up freezer space. Can store alot more in jars then in small freezers.

HH
I like the fact that food doesn't require electricity to stay good for years.

You may be right about the over-cooking. If you have any advice, I'm all ears. I learned the following from the Blue book and the book that came with the pressure canner.

I've been using a processing time of 1 hr 15 mins for pint jars.

I start the 75 min processing time only after I get vent lock (about 10 mins) and have seen a steady steam of steam out of the vent for another ten mins, then add the weight and wait until the 10 lb weight starts to rock (about 10 mins).

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think about regular cooking of chicken. A half pound chicken leg quarter takes less time to cook then a one pound chicken leg quarter.

I've only helped do chicken once. But my suggestion would be next batch knock off 5 minutes. Then a week after canning to open a jar & check it.

There are endless canning forums on the web. But for us, its about survival. Save some money & can spend that money elsewhere on survival stuff.

HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not everyday, but sometimes I get a sweet tooth & love me some fruit. Canned pears, peaches, etc. Even if you don't grow your own, find the nearest "u-pick" place & when to be there. I'm not much on jelly & jam but nice to have some.

HH

·
Registered
87 Posts
You other hunters should try pressure canning your venison.
I raw pack mine and add a beef bullion cube to each jar. I pack as tight as possible, then cook for 60 minutes at 10 lbs. The quarters from an average whitetail will afford about seven quarts. It's great for stews and BBQ, and will last until the lids rust through.

1 - 20 of 728 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.