bread & butter pickles

2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
1 Tbsp mustard seed
1-1/2 Tbsp mixed pickling spice
(cinnamon stick, ginger, mustard seeds, cloves, peppercorns, chilies, etc.)
3-1/2 pounds cucumbers, cut into 1/4″ slices

In a 5-quart pot (non-aluminum), combine sugar, vinegar, water and spices. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cucumber slices. Return to a boil, stirring gently and trying to submerge slices as they cook. When the pot returns to a boil, boil for 90 seconds, then remove from heat. The slices should have changed from a bright cucumber green to a darker pickle green. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, fill hot jars with pickles slices, then fill each with pickling liquid, leaving 1/8″ head space. (You may have extra brine; you can refrigerate this up to a week if you are making another batch soon.) Wipe rims clean with a damp paper cloth and add lids and rings. Process in a boiling water bath — 20 minutes for quarts, 10 minutes for pints. Begin timing when the water has returned to a boil after you submerge your jars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beef Stew

This recipe can be cut in half.

Makes about 7 (32 oz) quarts or 14 (16 oz) pints

Traditional beef stew with potatoes, carrots, celery and more. Preserved in your pressure canner for when you want a homemade meal fast.

You will need:
4 to 5 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
12 cups cubed and peeled potatoes (about 12 medium)
8 cups sliced carrots (about 16 small)
3 cups chopped celery (about 5 stalks)
3 cups chopped onion (about 4 small)
1-1/2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
Water
7 (32 oz) quart or 14 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
1.) PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) BROWN meat in oil in a large saucepot. Add vegetables and seasonings to browned meat. Cover with boiling water. Bring stew to a boil. Remove from heat.
3.) LADLE hot stew into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
4.) PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour and 15 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 30 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=68

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BUTTER

This is the first that I had heard of that you can cann butter.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmyS7z1UNI&feature=related[/ame]

I think you can take what is skimmed off the top & while still warm, add to a tub of margarine from the frig.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
I am surprised her jar did not break when she set them on the tile counter top from thermal shock, I would set them on a wooden cutting board. I did not know you could can butter, I wonder how long it will last.

Casey

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I am surprised her jar did not break when she set them on the tile counter top from thermal shock, I would set them on a wooden cutting board. I did not know you could can butter, I wonder how long it will last.

Casey
Paula Dean would know all about canning butter. LOL

She probably has deep fried butter recipes too! In all seriousness I guess you do need some form of "grease" to cook with post SHTF. I'm all for lard.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
I just did a batch of pickled ginger or as the Japanese call it "Gari', It is normally served with Sushi but I like it all the time.

I used a one pound "hand" of fresh ginger that I scraped the skin off with a spoon and cut in to as thin of slices as I could. Then boiled it for about 10 minutes [next time I will boil for at least 20, Its still a bit crunchy] put it in a old pickle jar I boiled for 10 minuits along with the lid and poured the pickling juice over it and let it sit in the refrigerator for about a week before tring it.

This is for refrigerator style pickles only, they are meant to be consumed with in about 3-4 weeks [it will probably last longer but it gets eaten before that]

The pickling solution consists of

1/4 cup salt
1 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup good water

put in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes you can add other sweet spices you may like such as cloves...
If you use young ginger it will turn pink, I put a couple of pickled beet slices in mine to give it color but you don't need it, I like to eat it as it is or use it as a marinade for making "Ginger Beef' or when I make "Sweet n Sour Pork" .
I know this in not canning but you could probably cann it and make it shelf stable for longer.

Casey

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,025 Posts
Bread and Butter Pickles for Thanksgiving and Christmas time

Our family Bread and Butter Pickles recipe (from Oklahoma).

1 Gallon of 1/8" sliced fresh cucumbers, covered with water.
6 Onions, sliced into rings (white!).

Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons of salt, let set overnight, drain in the morning.

The next day.

Ingredients to mix:

1 quart of clear vinegar (5% acidity)
5 cups of sugar
1/4 cup of mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
and 1 tablespoon of celery seed.

Preparation:

Bring to a boil the ingredients above, add cucumbers and onion rings, bring back to a boil again. Stir well, let cook for 5 minutes. Remover from heat, put into clean jars and seal at once.

Remember about high altitude processing times will get longer over 1000 feet.

1,000 - 3,000 feet add 5 minutes.
3,000 - 6,000 feet add 10 minutes.
6,000 - 8,000 feet add 15 minutes.
8,000 - 10,000 feet your adding 20 more minutes.

At the house here we are at 5,260' ASL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.