M14 Forum banner

CANNED BUTTER?...they say it lasts over 5 years!

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Sweets 
I'm sure Hunting Hawk will have something to say about this, but it's probably best to pressure can butter as opposed to the method described. Youtube videos I've watched mention that the US government discourages the canning of butter due to the danger of botulism contamination. One such video dismisses that as dairy lobby propaganda and says pressure canning (at 230 degrees) is safe, but no matter who's talking when you say 'botulism' I pay attention, especially if it's a possibility in something like butter that won't be heated up to boiling temperatures before eating.

One compromise would be to put the butter in jars and then freeze them. Then if the power gets lost, you could eat them up pretty quickly and minimize risks, or if time goes by, use them for frying etc. Especially with salted butter, I could see the repackaged frozen product lasting for 5 years.

Unsalted butter is pretty delicate stuff, BTW- unless clairified and pressure canned, I would avoid it for long term purposes.

I buy 5-gal lots of high quality olive oil from Greece, a friend owns the orchard.

It stores fine in a cool dark place in original metal can.
Yes, it's supposed to be one of the best oils to store longterm. Didn't find that out until recently- wish it was cheaper nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.