M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=68887&cat=2,40731

I've wanted one of these ever since they first came out some years ago, and now I have one- bought it second hand. The basic idea is that it takes the heat from a single tea light candle and via a thermocouple converts it into even more light via LED bulbs.

The folks I got it from were, lucky for me, using inferior candles and weren't getting good results, if fact I couldn't even get their candles to stay lit either in or out of the lantern. But when I use my own modestly priced tea lights, the thing lights right up and stays bright. Since the candle itself is still mostly visible when burning, you not only get that light but many times more via the LEDs. It's easily bright enough to read by and lasts the whole life of the candle, about 5 hours. The box and instructions advertise this unit only as an outdoor light, surprisingly chickenhearted because when in use the candle flame has to be one of the safest in the world, and the unit itself hardly even gets warm- you have to work hard, sticking your finger in the openings, to even find a hot surface. The only time it warms up a bit is under the top when it's folded right down (at which time it looks quite pretty BTW, a great mood light). Using the previous owner's candles, I got a bit of smoke that required opening the unit and trimming the wick, with my Costco versions there was none. The only problem with tealights is that once they're more than half consumed, you really can't blow them out and burn the rest the next day- they just flame out early, leaving most of the wax unused. So last night we had light 'way later than we wanted, but as I said, this has to be the safest way to burn a candle, ever.

Having been in several prolonged winter blackouts, I know this thing will be worth its weight in gold at those times. Should have bought one when they came out, but I got away with it.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What the...? Detailed reading of the instruction manual, and it says this: "although safe to use indoors, the reduced airflow compared to outdoors can result in decreased performance of the product..." This may be one of the stupidest self-criticisms I've ever seen. It works fine indoors. This is an example of why men never read the instructions.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its from whomever translated the instructions from chinese.
The thing is made in Canada, actually. So at the very worst, I'll say 'translated from the French.'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts