M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Canada they just delegitimized the ownership of a huge number of types of firearms, perhaps inadvertently to include all shotguns. This was done pretty much by decree without legislative debate or any vote by elected representatives of the people. But then, Canada doesn't have a Bill f Rights as we do here in the USA.

But do we still have the privilege's and protections specified by the first ten amendments to The Constitution?

The US Constitution provides a layered, multi-step process for making changes that include both houses of congress and the legislatures of a majority of states. These mechanisms were all used to first prohibit the sale of alcohol in the 18th amendment. The whole process was involved again to repeal the 18th and allow the selling of alcohol again, the 19th amendment, some ten years later.

Yet today, in some jurisdictions, the 19th amendment has been suspended by the decree of a governor or even a city council. Its not just alcohol or the 19th Amendment. The First Amendment right to peaceably assemble and the right to freely worship have been suspended in many places . . . .all without6 a single debate or vote in Washington or anywhere else the people's elected representatives meet.

Sure it has happened in Canada . . . .but it is also happening here.

Be sure to vote in November. It has never been more important.

·
Registered
Save the Country - Vote Libertarian
146 Posts
Where was the right to worship any god you like suspended? I missed that one... everyone I know was still free to watch their favorite church service online and worship to their hearts' content from home.

In PA they shut down liquor stores which is a pain because they're gov't run. But that's a knock on the PA state-ownership... they're not banning alcohol or prohibiting the sale of it

"During Monday's press briefing on the coronavirus pandemic, Trump said, “When somebody’s president of the United States, the authority is total. And that’s the way it’s got to to be. It's total. It’s total. And the governors know that.""

I agree wholeheartedly on the importance of the upcoming vote, which is why I hope we all vote for a candidate who believes fully in the BoR and our rights as citizens and humans. I also hope I don't get banned for having an opinion!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
"During Monday's press briefing on the coronavirus pandemic, Trump said, “When somebody’s president of the United States, the authority is total. And that’s the way it’s got to to be. It's total. It’s total. And the governors know that.""
Ouch!!!

Regards,
D1

·
Registered
171 Posts
In Canada they just delegitimized the ownership of a huge number of types of firearms, perhaps inadvertently to include all shotguns. This was done pretty much by decree without legislative debate or any vote by elected representatives of the people. But then, Canada doesn't have a Bill f Rights as we do here in the USA.

But do we still have the privilege's and protections specified by the first ten amendments to The Constitution?

The US Constitution provides a layered, multi-step process for making changes that include both houses of congress and the legislatures of a majority of states. These mechanisms were all used to first prohibit the sale of alcohol in the 18th amendment. The whole process was involved again to repeal the 18th and allow the selling of alcohol again, the 19th amendment, some ten years later.

Yet today, in some jurisdictions, the 19th amendment has been suspended by the decree of a governor or even a city council. Its not just alcohol or the 19th Amendment. The First Amendment right to peaceably assemble and the right to freely worship have been suspended in many places . . . .all without6 a single debate or vote in Washington or anywhere else the people's elected representatives meet.

Sure it has happened in Canada . . . .but it is also happening here.

Be sure to vote in November. It has never been more important.
Ever think our Natural Rights as articulated under our Constitution are only as good those who Interprets them?

Its why our Second Amendment rights exist to ensure the Security of a Free State.

The problem is that people allow themselves to be backed into a Corner by those on the Government Payroll.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
....not anymore ICONSAD
You don't have a right to yell fire in a crowded theater. You don't have a right to keep and bear an atomic bomb. You don't have a right to keep TLA agents out of your house, if somebody suspected of being suspicious lives across the street. You don't have a right not to be searched, if you're suspected of possessing a special class of mala prohibita.
etc. etc.
The LSM's specialty is whipping up a fury over some special problem that requires a special jack boot Rights stompin and making reality of reductio ad absurdum.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Where was the right to worship any god you like suspended? I missed that one... everyone I know was still free to watch their favorite church service online and worship to their hearts' content from home.
Where? Easter services attended in the church parking lot by families in their car were ordered to disperse and given tickets with a $500 fine. That violates at least two provisions of the First Amendment alone.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11383553/mississippi-fined-500-praying-drive-in-church-service-easter-sunday/

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/baptist-church-members-given-500-tickets-for-listening-to-church-service-in-their-cars-via-radio-in-parking-lot

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where? Easter services attended in the church parking lot by families in their car were ordered to disperse and given tickets with a $500 fine. That violates at least tow provisions of the First Amendment alone.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11383553/mississippi-fined-500-praying-drive-in-church-service-easter-sunday/

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/baptist-church-members-given-500-tickets-for-listening-to-church-service-in-their-cars-via-radio-in-parking-lot
Freedom of assembly, sure. But those people were not told they're not allowed to worship their god, only that they can't do it in a group. I'm only pointing this out to focus on the real issues and not conflate things. For what it's worth, I also disagree with pro-2A advocates harming our cause by showing up at rallies with their open carry as a show of force and to intimidate

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freedom of assembly, sure. But those people were not told they're not allowed to worship their god, only that they can't do it in a group. I'm only pointing this out to focus on the real issues and not conflate things. For what it's worth, I also disagree with pro-2A advocates harming our cause by showing up at rallies with their open carry as a show of force and to intimidate
Just so we all know what we are all talking about:

Text of The First Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievance
s."

Now anyone can have an opinion of what any of this means and how it applies, but this will go to The Supreme Court and their opinion DOES matter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just so we all know what we are all talking about:

Text of The First Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievance
s."

Now anyone can have an opinion of what any of this means and how it applies, but this will go to The Supreme Court and their opinion DOES matter.
Definitely, I just think the freedom of assembly aspect is what they'll focus on since people were ticketed for assembling, not for worshipping.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Worshipping is typically always done in groups and covered in peaceful assembly. Stopping that assembly is stopping their ability to worship.

And yes Trump has absolute power in ending the national emergency which is what Trump was talking about.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Folks: This issue is bigger than the right to ". . . . keep and bear arms". This is a fundamental threat to the basic framework that implements the intent of the Preamble to The Constitution.

OK, so there was/is a mass anxiety based on still incomplete information. This anxiety is may be justified. The pandemic has spread tragedy widely. It is still not fully understood. But it will be eventually. Effective therapies, methods of mitigation and prevention will be found. Please note that Bubonic Plague is still with us. That's right, the "Black Death" of the middle ages is still a health problem, but it is understood and health professionals deal with it, because they know what to do.

When, and there will be a when, something else comes along that threatens the health and interconnectivity of the people of the world, just defeating the health threat will not be enough. We will have to have already figured out how to preserve our manner of government. That is the challenge that is before us today.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Worshipping is typically always done in groups and covered in peaceful assembly. Stopping that assembly is stopping their ability to worship.

And yes Trump has absolute power in ending the national emergency which is what Trump was talking about.
Thanks Harding, placing a quotation without context is straight out of the CNN school of journalism.

Not saying that burgh meant to emulate them.

The Presidents Executive Orders are not absolute as in the case of a dictator. Albeit difficult, they can be negated by a bill in Congress or the Supreme Court finding unconstitutional.

I think more of our freedoms under the constitution have been lost to non-elected bureaucrats in all the various Federal departments than thru laws or executive orders.

·
Registered
146 Posts

My grandma watched church service daily on TV and that was before services were livestreamed. But, if you think there's value in claiming something happened (prohibition on worship and religion) instead of focusing on the prohibition on assemblies (which wasn't limited to church) that's fine, I just think it's missing the point.

And no, the context was in terms of him being able to tell states to re-open... not the context of ending the nat'l emergency. Out of curiosity, do you think the Civil War was over state's rights and federal overreach or just about keeping slavery?

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
As a US citizen, you have an incredible amount of rights. More than any other citizen in any other country. These rights are on an indelible document, preserved in a place where you are not allowed to exercise any of those rights.

And there lies the irony of our Constitution. Many elected officials, government agencies and local authorities could care less about it. Your rights are usually only acknowledged after the fact, not beforehand. The Constitution doesn't do you much good after you are dead or indebted from having to defend such rights.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My grandma watched church service daily on TV and that was before services were livestreamed. But, if you think there's value in claiming something happened (prohibition on worship and religion) instead of focusing on the prohibition on assemblies (which wasn't limited to church) that's fine, I just think it's missing the point.
So, was she able to receive the sacrament; a vital component of her beliefs (if it is for her)?

If not; she wasn't free to practice her religion in totality.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

And no, the context was in terms of him being able to tell states to re-open... not the context of ending the nat'l emergency. Out of curiosity, do you think the Civil War was over state's rights and federal overreach or just about keeping slavery?
Whether or not you personally can fill your soul with online and impersonal worship doesn't mean everyone can or should. I was taught it was call communion for a reason. And part of worshipping was fellowship.

Stave rights and federal overreach. What do you think is allowing these states to stay closed? Federal $.

Leftists are never happy. Complain about the administration doing nothing and when it does something they complain about federal overreach.

This all feels like deja Vu and rehashing of another thread.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So, was she able to receive the sacrament; a vital component of her beliefs (if it is for her)?

If not; she wasn't free to practice her religion in totality.
not via tv of course, but someone brought it to her weekly. of course it's not like all religions are free to practice their religions in totality... only those in general acceptance. rastafarians can't smoke their reefer, satanists can't perform their sacrifices, etc. there are limits, just less when it's a widely accepted religion like christianity

·
Registered
146 Posts
Leftists are never happy. Complain about the administration doing nothing and when it does something they complain about federal overreach.
I can agree with that, although in this case it's not leftists complaining about the overreach. It's indeed a very interesting study in biases...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
In Canada they just delegitimized the ownership of a huge number of types of firearms, perhaps inadvertently to include all shotguns.
According to what I just read, the limit is 20mm and 10,000 J muzzle energy. A 10 gauge shotgun is 19.69mm, and around 3,800J, so it technically falls under the limit.

That means the current rules exclude almost all shotguns.

It does include .50 BMG, which was probably the intent.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts