M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted up an add in the BX for 8 USGI AR-15 30 rounds mags I have for sale. Shortly after posting, I had a member here (with zero posts) that offered to buy the magazines. He included in the message that only high cap handgun magazines are illegal. I did a little research and I get an even amount of answers on both sides. Some say it is fine and some say it is illegal because AR magazines can be used in AR pistols, thus making it a pistol magazine capable of holding more than 30 rounds of ammunition. Anyone with info from Hawaii that has some rep here would be greatly apprciated. Let me know what you find. I am not going to sell the mags to this member until I have verified that it is legal.

-Sapp

·
Registered
558 Posts
“The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable
ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or capable of
use with a pistol is prohibited." Haw. Rev. Stat. § 134-8(c).

·
Registered
585 Posts
I asked my LGS about this since I'm recently stationed here. He said that he believes that particular law came into effect prior to them realizing about AR pistols or they weren't quite as common as their big brother. His and all the other LGS have 30's, 60's and a few beta's on their shelves to sell (or would if not sold out)

Matter of fact, when I recently picked up a couple new lowers, the guy next to me was buying a SF 60 rounder. I think it would fall onto the end user effectively to not put them into a pistol AR.

***edit*** Also forgot to mention Brownells sent me 10 PMAGs last time they had them in stock which was maybe a month ago

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm

Just don't want to get into any trouble. Especially since the guy has no postings.

-Sapp

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I read it this way. Acceptable into a pistol. An ar15 pistol is legally a pistol, while an ar15 is legally a rifle; this means that again we have an unintelligable law that only confuses people.

If you want to sell to him, id call hawaii state police and ask their interpretation. Or maybe the rebuild kit thing.

If you wanted to shy out of the deal i wouldnt hold it against you. I think theres grounds for you to back out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The law here in Hawaii is vague, but most gun shops here on Oahu sell hi cap rifle magazines. I have never heard of anyone convicted of possession of a high capacity rifle magazine, only pistol magazines.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I was stationed there for 3 years, and almost cried tears of joy when I left. Hated that rock.

By and large, the legal system there is corrupt and retarded as hell. Example? I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt...in a McDonalds drive-thru. The day before I PCS'ed.

To cover your own, I'd suggest not doing it unless they're military. In the same regards, it's actually illegal to copy a federal ID card (Yea, retarded See) and some people may be iffy on it.

They'll sell elsewhere. Save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you fellas for the info. I have decided not to sell or ship to Hawaii. Like many of you said, huge grey area. Better safe than sorry.

-Sapp

·
Registered
149 Posts
Take it apart and sell him the PIECES as a REPAIR KIT! C.Y.A.!

·
Registered
225 Posts
No. Nope. Not even close.

Go with your legal interpretation. Better yet the SP of that area. This ain't Disneyland.

Sapp, good call!
LOL, now Flanders be nice! I guess I was trying to subtly suggest that he is obviously concerned and maybe it is not worth it to send them if he is concerned. So much for that! Ha! GI1

·
Registered
1 Posts
30rd clips are ok

I just got off the phone with the fire arms department in Honolulu because i keep hearing they are illegal and they are ok. 30rd clips are ok to buy and have in hawaii or have shipped to hawaii. The big BUT is for the gun owner and who manufactured the rifle. If you have a AR-15 rifle and the company also makes a AR-15 pistol (bushmaster)you can't have the 30rd clips. If the manufacture does not make a pistol version of the AR-15 you own (like adcor) then you are good. If you want to double check the info call the Honolulu firearms division @ 808-723-3190. Hope this helps.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I just got off the phone with the fire arms department in Honolulu because i keep hearing they are illegal and they are ok. 30rd clips are ok to buy and have in hawaii or have shipped to hawaii. The big BUT is for the gun owner and who manufactured the rifle.

If you have a AR-15 rifle and the company also makes a AR-15 pistol (bushmaster)you can't have the 30rd clips. If the manufacture does not make a pistol version of the AR-15 you own (like adcor) then you are good.

If you want to double check the info call the Honolulu firearms division @ 808-723-3190. Hope this helps.
Now There's An Intelligent Law...

GI3

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: Viking

·
Registered
823 Posts
Somewhat related I met Chris during a session at Sig two weeks ago. We went to dinner and his review of the laws in HI was eyeopening. He has started this organization and might be worth a look.

http://www.hawaiidefensefoundation.org/

If was funny seeing him deal with snow for the first time in his life.ICONCRY

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I just got off the phone with the fire arms department in Honolulu because i keep hearing they are illegal and they are ok. 30rd clips are ok to buy and have in hawaii or have shipped to hawaii. The big BUT is for the gun owner and who manufactured the rifle. If you have a AR-15 rifle and the company also makes a AR-15 pistol (bushmaster)you can't have the 30rd clips. If the manufacture does not make a pistol version of the AR-15 you own (like adcor) then you are good. If you want to double check the info call the Honolulu firearms division @ 808-723-3190. Hope this helps.

What about 30 round magazines?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
How to stay out of jail for free:

Don't ship your mags to any commie state, incl. Hawaii.
Bingo.

Hawaii can keep their beaches, high cost of living and overpopulation. Not to mention who wants to be on an island when T-SHTF?

Don't ship the mags!

·
"Death From Above"
11,696 Posts
Nope sorry boomer I just picked up mags at CMI today NY, NJ, CA IL, MA, HA AND WASH DC ARE NO GO FOR ANYTHING OVER 20. MD IS GOO TO GO ON 20 AND UNDER OH IS GTG ON 30 AND UNDER THE REST DON'T GIVE A BLANK. I CHECKED BECAUSE I AM ABOUT TO COMMIT SUICIDE AND DO A GROUP BY FOR CMI MAGS. Sorry about the caps I didn't even realize they were on, I am not screaming at you LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts