M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up for my third HPR match next week. I've been watching some youtube videos about how to succeed. My last match was five years ago.

In more than one video, the shooter is resting his 20 round magazine on his shooting jacket while shooting prone. So essentially his magazine is rested on the ground, with just his jacket sleeve in between. I thought that was not allowed. To my mind, that's supported prone; that's not prone unsupported as it is supposed to be.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Back when I had M14s checked out & was shooting High Power I would support the rifle in standing by flipping my left hand over & resting the mag in my glove. Worked great for me since I have short arms.
But to support the rifle in prone like you're describing I cant see how you would use the sling. It also seems you would never get the muzzle high enough to get the front sight on target?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
The typical rule interpretation depends on whether the magazine contact actually provides support, or whether the contact is 'incidental' and does not provide support.
Some people do use a very low prone position which appears as 'support', but might not be.

At big matches, a possible winner using such a position often gets a lot of attention from the officials and refs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts