M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Opinions vary on this, but if you liken it to free floating the barrel as in the AR, it can help in acuracy as the draw on the stock doesn't effect the barrel as much as if the ferrule is tight to the front band. If the gas cylinder is not untitized, this may cause a rattling that can and does effect the harmonics of the barrel and can cause acuracy loss. I'm sure there are some on this board who may agree or disagree. Guys???

·
Registered
168 Posts
There needs to be just that amount of "flex". If there is any binding between the stock assembly and barrel assembly then the rifle and it's integral parts have a difficult time all finding, and resetting to the same configuration with each shot. When the rifle is able to maintain a consistent configuration, with all it's parts returning to the same place prior to being fired each time, the chances for placing the next shot in the same hole increase*. Did I just make any sense at all?
(*except with me!)

Also, make sure you lap/smoothen the surface of the stock ferrule and the tab on the barrel band where they mate. And throw an adequate amount of thick grease between 'em. But not so much that it squishes out all over the place. The grease helps to keep out unwanted dirt and grit from between these two surfaces and allows the stock and barrel assembly to hopefully settle back into the same configuration after each shot fired.

Did I make any sense that time either. :?: :oops:
Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. I just installed a unitizied gas cylinder (screwed) to increase the accuracy of the rifle. I've done everything to make this a match rifle. It already shoots excellent, I just want it to be better.

10 shots at 100yds with a tasco Super Sniper 10x on a Harris bipod with Australian surplus

NM SAK barrel
Fulton trigger job
unitizied GC
shimmed GC
trimmed out stock near gas system, no possible contact
NM front sight
rooster op rod spring guide

No bedding (stock is already an awfully tight fit) and no match rear sight. Thats allI can think of for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
handguard

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:Here is how i got mine to shoot tighter groups without spending a lot of time and money.Got this off Freds .If you
will put a little high-tem RV silicone sealer on the front lip of the
handguard, thereby glueing it into the front band, accuracy will be improved. got this off freds

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Keep your power Dry,Trample the Wicked,Hurdle the Dead.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
While you glue the front of the handguard as Hardcore explained, also make sure the rear of the handguard does not touch the front of the receiver. Just needs to be a very slight gap 1/16 inch between them, it will help accuracy.

Another trick is to make sure there is no contact between the bottom edge of the handguard and the top edge of the stock. Just enough to let a business card slip between them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.