M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rifle with a NM rear sight and a pretty funky Flash hider with a NM front sight.
I just got a nice USGI FH with a standard USGI front sight.
Can I just put on the USGI FH with USGI front sight and use with the NM rear sight?
Will it work okay without a lot of hassle?

·
Registered
344 Posts
The NM Front uses a narrower blade, and the NM Rear uses a smaller diameter aperture, so using a larger (wider) blade with a smaller aperture may limit your sight picture. You can try it, as it's an easy swap, if you're not satisfied. Everyone's vision is different, and besides you're going to need to "zero" your sights, regardless.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just move the NM front sight to your better flash hider.

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, you guys think it would be a good idea to soak it with Aerokroil a while before I try and remove it?

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
The first part of zeroing is to set the rear sight at the center and move the front. On an issue M14, this was done at the factory.

With commercial rifles, it's up to us.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
You should not have any problems using a standard front sight with a NM aperture rear. Some competition shooters prefer this combination as it has applications when favoring windage during rapid fire stages. It also allows for what we call a frame hold at 600 yards. For the average shooter, not shooting competition, it won't really matter much. Whether you need to re-zero when using a different front sight will depend on how close you get it to the same center and how tall the blade is compared to the original front sight.

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
I do it all the time. I've shot some pretty good groups with a standard front sight. Just recently, I held 2.5 MOA at 300 yards with my M1 Garand. Other than having a NM rear sight, nothing else is match conditioned.

Tony.

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
Good replies and advice given given.
Never be afraid to change things around looking for what works for your eyes. I know several shooters that as they aged switched to the battel front sight. And some went to he non hooded rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts