M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going Bear hunting. I know I have to fill out some kind of form. Just thought I would shout out to all yall to expidite my info gathering. See if one of you has done this before.
Thanks errbody.

Deuces

·
Registered
253 Posts
Make sure you have your firearms importation paperwork all filled out before you arrive at the border. If your paperwork is all in order, Canadian customs are far more pleasant to deal with than their US counterparts. Also, note that the maximum magazine capacity is 5 rounds.

Edit: I just noticed that DHS says you need to register your firearm prior to leaving the US, what the heck is that about?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/414/~/canadian-requirements-for-taking-firearm-%2F-rifle-to-canada-to-hunt

Reactions: Thedutchman

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I went to Canada on the wheat harvest in 1963 and had my Scott and Webly revolver with me.
Being young and stupid I didn't realize I couldn't take firearms to Canada without a permit.
When they asked if we had any guns at the border I spoke up and they took my pistol but were real nice about it and returned it to me after the harvest was over and we returned to the state's.
I don't expect they would be that nice about it now.
Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure you have your firearms importation paperwork all filled out before you arrive at the border. If your paperwork is all in order, Canadian customs are far more pleasant to deal with than their US counterparts. Also, note that the maximum magazine capacity is 5 rounds.

Edit: I just noticed that DHS says you need to register your firearm prior to leaving the US, what the heck is that about?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/414/~/canadian-requirements-for-taking-firearm-%2F-rifle-to-canada-to-hunt
This is nothing but back-door gun registration. You used to only have to do paperwork for Canada. I have never had to do gun paperwork for the Feds on a gun I was taking out of the country on a hunt.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It has been a half dozen years but I've done it about a dozen times or more with different long guns, pistols are out. Make sure you have all paperwork done on both sides before going through customs. It will make things easier . Do stop at ours first or you won't get back. With their gun laws take everything you will need,ammo ,lockable case for the borders,oh yes, where I was in Ontario you had to case your gun at dark where ever you were ,so I took a sleeve I could roll up and carry in my coat. On your hunt you need to keep your papers with the gun you wrote them for and don't walk away from your gun, lean it somewhere for a leak or what ever. It all sounds pretty bad but it is well worth it. Everything is on line . Just make sure you do what they say and it will be great . I've had some great times up north and glad we have them as neighbors. I'm so glad we have the NRA.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
All of the advice so far is obviously first hand and excellent. If you're bringing in an M1A, I can only stress the 5 shot magazine thing. Get a short magazine if you don't have one, it'll make Canada Border Services very happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts