M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah my pawpaw used this gun a lot as a child and I imagine it took a beating during his youth. I took it to a local gun shop and they couldn't identify the gun maker. The only markings on it are on the pic I posted.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a 16 gauge single shot iver Johnson shotgun that looked similar to your 22lr. It was my grandfathers. It was not an outstanding collector gun. It had little sentimental value to me. He may have shot a burglar with it at the coal yard where he worked trying to steal coal during the depression. I turned it in to the local police gun buy back program and got $100 for it.

I recommend you do the same.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That looks like an old Winchester 1902 caliber .22 Extra Long…

The fat screw sticking out the bottom and the trigger guard give it away… it looks like he broke the bolt and fixed it with a screw. Who Manufactured it I could not tell you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Turn in a firearm that belonged to his Grandfather so that it can be destroyed?! I can't believe I just read that on a firearms-centric forum! Only from California.......
It looks like my old Iver Johnson that I put down. Was not worth anything. It really had no sentimental value. Took the $100. Truth be known the gun buyback programs are a good place to get rid of junk guns that have little or no value. The police would like that you turn in your M1As, AK47s, ARs, etc but I thought I would honor them with some trash. I keep the good stuff for myself.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Doesn't matter the monetary value........if it belonged to his Grandfather it's got sentimental value.

I've got a Remington-Rand 1911A1 that belonged to my Grandpa. Monetarily, worth about $1500. You couldn't buy that off me for anything.

The thought of my Grandpa passing on something he had as a kid, down to me, and then I have it callously destroyed for a paltry sum of cash.......I can't even fathom it. Lack of respect, no sense of history.........I don't know where to go with this.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
My Grandfathers Ithica .22 was destroyed on order of a Marin County judge years ago because we were shooting on an unmarked game reserve. Despite the lack of markings or signs, we were shooting cans, and the fact I paid the $500.00 fine, she had no mercy. I still regret it to this day.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I don't think it's a 1903 Winchester. The styling is similar, but Winchester's are clearly marked as such.

The "H inside a P" logo is familiar, I've seen it before, but I can't place it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Doesn't matter the monetary value........if it belonged to his Grandfather it's got sentimental value.

I've got a Remington-Rand 1911A1 that belonged to my Grandpa. Monetarily, worth about $1500. You couldn't buy that off me for anything.

The thought of my Grandpa passing on something he had as a kid, down to me, and then I have it callously destroyed for a paltry sum of cash.......I can't even fathom it. Lack of respect, no sense of history.........I don't know where to go with this.
I was afraid to shoot it. Everytime I did the barrel would come loose. My Grandfather left me plenty of other guns. This one was trash. Don't need to get pumped up over it. Some guns need to be put down. And there is no better place to empty the trash than at a police gun buyback. Having them pay for garbage is very satisfying to see them eat crow.

I inherited a WWII vintage 45 ACP pistol that I would not part with either. It might be a Remington, the pistol is in my gun safe as I write this. I have a lot of guns so I can't remember them all. I had it updated with Parkerizing, Trijicon sites and nice wood grips. Rebarreled and rebushed it, added match trigger and a spring kit. Very nice. It was my Uncles. He was stationed in England in WWII. Lot of history behind it. I have my family keep sake guns also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bage I second checking at RFC. And maybe register at Weaponsguild and ask. There is alot of folks over there that know odd ball stuff. More pictures of the bolt and reciver would help in identifying the gun. John Browning had alot of patents. Initially it looks like one of his designs to me.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have checked all my books and have come up with nothing for that logo with H in P in Diamond. It does look very similar to the old Winchesters but as stated above it would be clearly marked. Are there any small proof marks anywhere at all?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts