M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy fellow M14 Enthusiasts,

I'm looking for some information about this particular serial number, it's my grandfathers rifle and he is interested in giving it to me.

It's a beautiful rifle, and I love the M1A, but I don't know too much about the history. Anyone know much about it? I believe 9200 brings it between 1978 and 1979 in date of manufacture

(Pretty new gun owner here)

Any information or help would be appreciated! :D

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,027 Posts
Well Barron, your rifle picture show a rifle that is not Kalifornie street legal at all. Good looking S/N, only 009200.

Bayonet lug, a no no.
Flash suppressor, a no no.
A real USGI 20 round mag, again a no no.

DI5

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy XXIV, Thanks for the quick response!

So I've heard that the Flash Suppressor is pretty easily removed, which would remove the bayonet lug as well correct? Then I would just replace it with a CA Legal Muzzle Break for now.

I would feel bad doing that, and I would probably keep the pieces for when I can get out of this state.

That and I just don't take the 20 round mags.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,027 Posts
Interesting pictures, a new wooden stock and the matching wooden handguard.

DI5

Reactions: Barron

·
Retired Admin
19,027 Posts
Howdy XXIV, Thanks for the quick response!

So I've heard that the Flash Suppressor is pretty easily removed, which would remove the bayonet lug as well correct? Then I would just replace it with a CA Legal Muzzle Break for now. Correct.

I would feel bad doing that, and I would probably keep the pieces for when I can get out of this state.
That and I just don't take the 20 round mags.Please keep them, don't turn them in.
I see as well that your sporting a NM rear sight.

DI5

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Nice looking rifle.
XXIV Corps is absolutely correct on the flash suppressor w/bayonet lug.
It would have been legal when originally bought in around 1979, but you are also correct that you must install a muzzle break before it goes to an FFL, or it must go with no muzzle attachment. Nice strong heel stamp, it has a NM hooded aperture also.
m14brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, I love the rifle, to the point where the legality isn't in question because I can line up a Muzzle Break and slap that on before doing the transfer.

(I'm well versed in the bullhonky that is California gun law. Though I plan on moving up to Oregon or down to Arizona in the near future)

Good to have confirmation that it is a National Match sight though! I forgot to take note of the hood.

Thanks you guys for the help on this one! I just love the matching wood on it.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The box is worth a bit of a premium too, so don't throw it away! Just thought I'm mention it since you said you were fairly new to firearms.

Welcome to the forum, that's a great looking M1A. Sounds like you have a great Grandfather.

Reactions: gunny8940

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
The stock looks to be bedded. What is the model number on the box label? SAI used to have a "one in a hundred" or "one in a thousand" programs for serial numbers that ended with zeros.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah, I'll be keeping the box and everything in a safe place, one thing I am well aware of is the worth of everything associated with a good M1A.

He said he only fired one magazine through it, and this is a man who takes very good care of all of his firearms, so I trust him.

Bedded Stock huh? Good to hear, learning a few new terms everyday

I'll have to check the box when I go to visit him next, it'd be cool if it had something like that 1/100 thing with it.

I've already got the muzzle break lined up, then I'll just keep the flash suppressor for when the job allows me to move out of this stupid state.

Thanks again guys for the awesome words and advice, I've been owning a collection of firearms for the past two years, from an AR 15 to a CZ 75 to Remington 870's, Mosin's, AK47s and all that fun stuff.

But even after all that, the M1A has been a dream of mine since I was a tyke, so I'm glad to hear from you guys that I'm getting a good one here.

Cause as you guys here probably know, there's nothing better than a good M14.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Wood hand guard, no side hole, bedding, national match hood, it makes me wonder if this was a factory National Match prepped rifle or if it was done by the shop that sold it. Stock with matching wood hand guard makes me think that a Boyd's stock was put on this rifle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.