M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a cut M14 receiver be rewelded? I have herd both, you can not. What does the BATF say. If you remove the slector lug it will not fire full auto. I have some nice cut receivers.
Thanks, P. Stout

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
In the past, several companies have done so wit at least one having BATF approval. One company acting on that approval was taken to task by the BATF and it's still an issue that is dragging through the courts. There are a bunch of seized welded receivers out there that have yet to be returned to their rightful owners. Until such a time that they are I believe it would be a good idea to hang on to those paperweights until such a time as you know for sure that it ould be legal to weld them together. You would then be needing BATF approval for them, which is doubtful. JMHO

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D IMHO yes they can be If whoever is doing it knows their Business! :wink:

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
Assuming approval for such action gets sanctioned, the preparation and quality of the welds and the subsequent heat treatment and resurfacing must be of the very highest quality. Personally, I wouldn't want a reweld. I don't put retread tires on my cars either for the same reasons.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The MKS welded M14 receiver rifles were beautiful and had excellent tolerances. The welds were stronger than the base metal according to data I saw at Camp Perry. And, according to the jury, were semiautomatic only.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Chuck S said:
The MKS welded M14 receiver rifles were beautiful and had excellent tolerances. The welds were stronger than the base metal according to data I saw at Camp Perry. And, according to the jury, were semiautomatic only.

-- Chuck
Roger that. I wish the BATFE could smell the coffee. Hello? :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, they can be done and are perfectly safe if the individual doing the operations knows what they are doing. I spoke on this subject at great lengh with the late Mel Smith. Now as far as how legal this is, that may be another story at this time.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I think the crux of it is that in order for the rifle to be demilled, it must be cut in 3 parts, or so says the ATF. Then, if you were licensed to manufacture firearms, you could weld them up sans lug.

Call the ATF if you're serious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.