M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a survey on location of front sight dovetail on any pre-war Winchester rifle (not carbine) rifles only with either octagon or round barrel .
Precise measurment needed either with steel machinist rule or dial caliper.

Center of dovetail to muzzle and needs to be unaltered original barrel .
Please supply photo if possible.

Models 1873,1876,1886,1885,1892,1894

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has been some debate and myself I've only seen 1.0'' but there are several well respected collectors swear 15/16'' is correct . Proof by example is whats needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an 1894 measuring 15/16". Digital caliper is all I've got. You'll just have to trust that I know how to zero a caliper and I'm not involved in a 120 year old conspiracy to add 1/16" to winchester's sight radius ;)

Here's the rifle data:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've received several other pictures from different folks and it seems the older rifles have a shorter placement of sight dovetail.
Arthur Purkle states in his book 51/64" +/- 1/32" is correct and this is from leading edge of dovetail bottom of slot.
Which place center of dovetail to muzzle .983" +/- 1/32"
Thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Winchester 76 dovetail

I have an older rifle and the dovetail seems to be a bit shorter as you state.
This is an 1876 in 45-60 made in 1882 as you can see from the letter.
Full disclosure dictates I tell you the barrel is original but has been relined because of little or no rifling when I got it.
I do not believe he shortened the barrel in the process.
Hope this helps your research.

Reactions: IRON WORKER
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.