M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday June 24th the Deep Creek Rifle Range will be hosting the first annual Montana State M1A Rifle Championship. The Deep Creek Range is located close to the city of Missoula and offers some of the best shooting conditions in the Northern Rockies.

Registration for the match is 1:00-1:45PM Friday afternoon, with first rounds down range at 2:00. All firing will take place at 300yds. Prior to the match there will be a brief sight in period if needed. Match fee is $20. It will be a 50 shot course of fire plus sighters, so plan on bringing at least 60 rounds + extra.

All rifles are welcome, but only M1A's and M14's are eligible to win the Championship. There will be a few prizes in addition to payouts for class winners. The MT M1A State Champion will win 60 rounds of M118 Match ammo.

This event is run in conjunction with the MT State High Power Rifle Championship on Saturday 6/25 and NRA registered LR matches in Sunday 6/26.

Due to our increased attendance in the last few years, in is important that you contact me to assure a spot on the firing line. We had a waiting list at our last match in 2010 and the first one this year was held in rainy conditions and we still had 37 people shooting.

Contact me at jameydan"at" gmail.com for match program(s) and more info.

All skill levels are welcome, and I hope to see you on the Firing Line,

Jamey Williams

View attachment 10883

View attachment 10884

View attachment 10885

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sadlak and 44mag.com are on board as match sponsors!

We have received some great news for our upcoming Montana State M1A Championship. Both 44mag.com and Sadlak Industries have stepped forward and are furnishing some prizes for the match on June 24th.

44mag.com is going to provide some CMI magazines. Sadlak is being very kind and will supply us with drill sets, wrenches and NM spring guides. Another, unnamed, donor is also giving us 3 boxes of USGI match ammo - M118. Prizes will be given to those shooting either a M14, M1A or M14 EBR (or clone). Other rifle types are welcome to participate in this 300yd match, but are not eligible for prizes. In addition to the prizes there will be cash awards.

I look forward to seeing you on the firing line,

Jamey Williams
jameydan AT gmail.com

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this sounds fun will try to make it.
Daniel,

Email me at jameydan"at"gmail.com and I will send you a copy of the match program, which includes directions to the range.

If you are coming, plan on being at the range between 1:00-1:30 for registration and squading.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Jamey

·
Registered
914 Posts
Daniel,

Email me at jameydan"at"gmail.com and I will send you a copy of the match program, which includes directions to the range.

If you are coming, plan on being at the range between 1:00-1:30 for registration and squading.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Jamey
Any chance you can persuade someone to capture some of it on digital video? I can't make it out there this time, for the same reason that my son & I are reluctantly skipping The Quigley this weekend in Forsythe, MT (110 m east of Billings). I know, I know; you aren't nearly as far from Ellensburg, WA, but still... the frickin' cost of diesel fuel coupled with my F350's thirst for "the good stuff".... makes trips like that cost upwards of $400 or more, round trip.

Bright idea I've just had: a good prize at one of these events should be $100 worth of fuel for the winner!

But next year, esp. if you do it on the same weekend that follows the big BPCR Quigley (which is always on Father's Day...), I'll probably be able to round up at least one more shooter besides myself. Then I could do Quigley and follow up on the way home at your shoot! What fun!

And so... A short video of highlights from this upcoming match as an enticement would be great! (Unless it rains relentlessly for the whole thing....)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any chance you can persuade someone to capture some of it on digital video? I can't make it out there this time, for the same reason that my son & I are reluctantly skipping The Quigley this weekend in Forsythe, MT (110 m east of Billings). I know, I know; you aren't nearly as far from Ellensburg, WA, but still... the frickin' cost of diesel fuel coupled with my F350's thirst for "the good stuff".... makes trips like that cost upwards of $400 or more, round trip.

Bright idea I've just had: a good prize at one of these events should be $100 worth of fuel for the winner!

But next year, esp. if you do it on the same weekend that follows the big BPCR Quigley (which is always on Father's Day...), I'll probably be able to round up at least one more shooter besides myself. Then I could do Quigley and follow up on the way home at your shoot! What fun!

And so... A short video of highlights from this upcoming match as an enticement would be great! (Unless it rains relentlessly for the whole thing....)
Mesa,

You might have a good idea on the fuel issue. I will think about that for next year. Hopefully these idiot fuel speculators will stop driving the market the way it is going.

By my calcs you are about $180 away round trip, bring a buddy, and split the costs :)

I will see what I can do on filming. I might have my hands full though.

JW

·
Registered
526 Posts
Man, I wish I could make it! Please continue to post up an future events. I'm a big fan of the Missoula area, so that alone would be worth a trip, not to mention shooting a match while I was there! Good stuff!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, I wish I could make it! Please continue to post up an future events. I'm a big fan of the Missoula area, so that alone would be worth a trip, not to mention shooting a match while I was there! Good stuff!
Steve,

As the high power match director at the Deep Creek Range, I try to organize matches that will meet the shooters desires. I am given 3 weekends a year by the club, Hellgate Civilian Shooters Association, and the range complex is a very busy place. Most of the late spring to early fall weekends are booked up with other events. It is my responsibility to put on matches that are not only safe and fun, but also generate income for the club to pay it's bills.

That said, this M1A match is something new I am doing in response to suggestions. It seems to have generated a fair amount of interest and I will likely do it again next year. The support from 44mag and Sadlak is also very encouraging. Perhaps next year there might be some changes to the weekend's other events. I am always open to ideas from others.

The best way to see such events continue is to vote for them with your attendance.

I hope to see you up here sometime.

Contact me by email and I can put you on my email list for matches in Missoula.

jameydan[at]gmail.com

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If only I weren't in Iraq! Good luck; I think its great we've got this going on in Montana. Especially the Missoula area. Really hope it happens next year!
Get on my email list and I will keep you up on the Montana matches.

Contact me at jameydan[at]gmail.com to get on the list.

I will do the M1A match again next year (along with some other matches too RNGR1 )

Be safe.

JW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.