M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I finally got the $$ together and bought a couple LRB receivers, before the PRK ever catches on that they haven't banned these yet.

I have all the rest of the parts for at least one complete all TRW rifle and want to send them off to Ted Brown to have it built.

I would post this question over at Calguns.net, but they are redoing the server, and it's been down.

What is entailed, legally speaking, with sending the unbuilt kit to Ted (who says he is an FFL) and having the completed rifle shipped back? Since I already have the receivers DROS'd to me, can I send it direct to him and back?

Also, what do you all send your rifles in for service? I've considered getting an SKB (or similar) hard case, but I don't want to scream "rifle" on the package, or pay huge amounts for shipping such a large object.

Should I just send an inexpensive soft case along with the parts in a tube?

Or do I have to do this all through an FFL to begin with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha El Capitan,

I am sure that Ted would be best able to field that question if you're sending the parts to him. Shoot him an email and I am sure he will be more than happy to help you.

Over the years, I have bought quite a few rifles and most of the rifles were packaged and sent in card board boxes, some double boxed and most of the rifles were additionally wrapped with newspaper or such to help prevent scratches and nicks.

A few were sent in hardcases with an outer card board box concealing the contents.

FedEx and USPS has so far worked out very well and without problem so far. I would recommend insurance just in case, although I have never had to process a claim yet.

Good Luck on your build! I hope you keep us apprised on how things turn out. A pic would be super when the rifles completed.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm from PRK and recently did this - Warbird built mine to perfection!

Since the receivers are DROS to you, you can ship them direct to your builder and he can ship direct back to you.

I used UPS with insurance. You must declare it as an unloaded firearm (I specified firearm PARTS).

Go to your local gun store and they may hook you up with a rifle box. Thats what I did. Wrap your parts up in bubble or newspaper and put them in a smaller box inside the rifle box. Pad the stock well to prevent damage.

You can get cheap ground shipping for about $20
You can go 2nd day overnight for about $80

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, that's exactly the info I needed. I didn't want to bug Ted since he's out of state, and most ppl from the US have no idea what we in the PRK have to endure!

I like the idea of a soft case, bubble wrapped parts and inside a cardboard box or 2 with insurance.

Now, doesn't either ups or fedex refuse firearms? I forget which one.

thx.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've shipped receivers and parts to Ted several times using FedEx,just bubble wrap parts into any cardboard box,you don't need anything special for unassembled parts, ship insured,i declared it as "surplus parts" and your good to go....Ted usually returns using FedEx

RED DOT

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you want to do it without a hitch, you'll need to go to the shipping company's actual service center, and not one of the Mailboxs Etc or Kinko's sort of places. I know UPS won't accept firearms anywhere but at the service center.

Ty

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
shipping

You can ship UPS or Fed-Ex. Just pack everything carefully in a cardboard rifle sized box. You can use a hard case, but most companies still will want it inside a cardboard box so it doesn't look like a gun. I haven't had many problems with damage, but I did receive a box from one customer who used a plastic hard case shipped in a cardboard box and it arrived with the hard case broken. The contents were fine. I got a stock in from Boyds the other day split right up the middle of the forearm! A little to much pressure on the box. Damage does happen. Make sure you ship it with the contents fully insured! As long as the receiver has been properly transfered in California, you can ship it direct to me and I can return it direct to you.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
After one episode of a damaged shipment, we got information (from our daily UPS driver) that packages aren't always handled as carefully as we might think and falls from the conveyor are common so we instituted our own "10-foot rule". We make sure that the outer box is strong enough to withstand a 10 foot fall with the weight of the object inside and that the item we are shipping is sufficiently protected (with bubble wrap/styrofoam. etc) to prevent any surface or edge of the item from piercing the outer box. Extra care in packaging is easier and quicker than an insurance claim.

·
Registered
529 Posts
RightHand said:
After one episode of a damaged shipment, we got information (from our daily UPS driver) that packages aren't always handled as carefully as we might think and falls from the conveyor are common so we instituted our own "10-foot rule". We make sure that the outer box is strong enough to withstand a 10 foot fall with the weight of the object inside and that the item we are shipping is sufficiently protected (with bubble wrap/styrofoam. etc) to prevent any surface or edge of the item from piercing the outer box. Extra care in packaging is easier and quicker than an insurance claim.

This makes sense. Upon returning a pistol to the manufacturer earlier this year, marking the contents of the box as "fragile" and "parts", the kid at the UPS counter wanted to know:
How fragile is it? Can I drop it from 5-feet without a problem? What about 10-feet? Parts, what kind of parts - what is it - computer parts?

I was a bit ticked after the ordeal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you ever had a shipper leave a package on the front porch that required a delivery signature? Have you ever tried to collect from FedEx or UPS on an insurance claim? It's virtually impossible. That's why I always ship using USPS registered mail. The post office has never lost a registered shipment and insurance is whatever you say it is. When the Hope diamond toured the country, it went from city to city this way. It is not the fastest shipping method, but it is the most secure as it must be signed for every step of the way. It will be less expensive than FedEx or UPS as well. Remember that the outer container should be cardboard and must be sealed with paper tape that will take the anti tampering stamps that will be applied by the counter person. You will be asked to declare the contents; I say, "antique firearm for repair". Legally, the receiver is the firearm. You already own that, and there's no reason to go through a FFL holder. Sounds like a great project!

·
Registered
LRB M14 SA, Criterion Med Wt CL Barrel, all GI parts with basic upgrades.
68 Posts
Just a quick question. If it’s an LRB reciever, what would be wrong with sending it back to Lou? His work is pretty nice too and the prices are really reasonable! But I did the same for mine. Had the receiver a few years before I got around to putting it together. Shipped Fed Ex

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Just a quick question. If it’s an LRB reciever, what would be wrong with sending it back to Lou? His work is pretty nice too and the prices are really reasonable! But I did the same for mine. Had the receiver a few years before I got around to putting it together. Shipped Fed Ex
Ummmm, I don't think it matters anymore to El Capitan since it's a 15-y/o necro-thread.💀 -Lloyd 🍻

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,460 Posts
He should be awarded necro thread resurrector of the year! :cool:
I think 15 years is the longest I have ever seen. But in his defense, I bet the thread popped up in the "recommended for you".
m14brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts