M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to purchase a handgun. However, I do not understand the single shot exemption law in California. Would you please explain what kind of operational differences between on and off roster handgun? Does this mean that the on roster handguns can only fire one shot? If so, when you fired a shot and then do what to fire the next shot? I understand that people buy off roster gun, do a SSE transfer and then convert it back to semi auto. I'd try to avoid that process by buying a on roster pistol but I don't mind to do the conversion of a off roster firearm once I understood fully of the pros and cons.

Please forgive me if it's a stupid question! My first handgun.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The link that ptalar provided explains the single shot exemption well. Understand, though, that the "safe handgun" roster applies only to new guns. That is, if you want to buy a brand new gun from a dealer, it must be on the roster.

On the other hand, you may buy ANY legal handgun from a private party and do a private party transfer at your local FFL. In such transactions the gun does not need to be on the roster. So you might check around to see if someone is selling the gun you want to buy.

Tim

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info and link! I've read through the pages on that thread and still don't have an idea what is the differences between on and off roster handguns. Would you please shorten the concept on how they work. On roster guns are single shot? You can only fire one shot? Off roster?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The CA Roster of "safe" handguns were put in place as a defacto ban on all new model handguns. A bunch of politicians who has very little knowledge on guns states that in order for a new handgun to be sold in CA it must have things like a loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, microstamping, etc. In order for manufacturers to have the gun models on the roster they must submit guns to be tested and pay an annual extortion fee to the state. Gun models already sold in-state before the roster was put in place are grandfather in however. (IE Glock Gen 3 are on roster. Gen 4 are not)

You can see the CA roster here.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

The law prohibits the sale or transfer of off-roster handguns to CA citizens by an FFL who has the gun in their inventory. Exemptions are private party transfers, interfamily transfers and sales to LEO. It DOES NOT prohibit ownership of a off roster gun.

Single shot exemptions is a sort of loophole to get around this as pistols with the capability of only loading/firing one round at a time are exempt from the roster. Additionally there is a minimum barrel length and overall length of the pistol. We were getting around this roster by converting say a brand new HK VP9 to single shot by installing a block that prevents insertion of a magazine and a extended barrel. Now you may only fire this gun in single shot mode by loading one round at a time.. And because of this the gun is may sold/transferred from a FFL's inventory. Once the citizen take ownership of the gun he/she may legally convert the gun back into semi-automatic mode.

It should be noted that Gov Jerry Brown signed AB1964 a few days ago and the 'loophole' is closed come Jan 1, 2015

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
On-roster pistols are sanctioned by Cali DOJ and therefore legal to purchase via a retailer. Off-roster pistols are not--in their semi-auto form.

If you'd like an off-roster find a retailer that does the conversion. At the time of purchase the weapon is made to shoot one round only regardless of the mag capacity. After the sale you can restore it to its original configuration and it's back to semi-auto.

Better buy one quick. The single exemption law is going away at the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,096 Posts
Thanks much! It is perfectly clear now. Can't believe how dumb I am.
Well, it's not you, the laws are freaking dumb and overly complicated, and there's tons of them that are always getting more restrictive. It shouldn't take jumping through the hoops CA requires to get the small slice of guns available, you should just be able to go in and get a real time background check and walk out with whatever you want if you pass. It used to be that there was a handgun test that was lifetime, now those don't count and the purchase permit is only good for 5 years, soon it will be every year then mandatory for every single purchase. Same with the roster and this microstamping BS, it's just cutting down the amount of available guns for sale.
m14brian

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, it's not you, the laws are freaking dumb and overly complicated, and there's tons of them that are always getting more restrictive. It shouldn't take jumping through the hoops CA requires to get the small slice of guns available, you should just be able to go in and get a real time background check and walk out with whatever you want if you pass. It used to be that there was a handgun test that was lifetime, now those don't count and the purchase permit is only good for 5 years, soon it will be every year then mandatory for every single purchase. Same with the roster and this microstamping BS, it's just cutting down the amount of available guns for sale.
m14brian
Give it time my friend. I truly believe the gun roster will eventually be challenged in court as a de facto gun ban. I believe the background check is currently being challenged and may ultimately result in fees being lowered.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Reactions: russ0861

·
Registered
309 Posts
It is too bad I am being forced out of Kalifornia because of the taxes and the gun laws. I bought a house in Las Vegas, the Summerlin area. I am retiring near the end of the year so it is my retirement home. Yeah it is a nice house, and cheaper cost of living in Vegas, but it gets hot in the summer. I am keeping my house in Kalifornia so I can be near my son and my family also. Will probably spend the summers in Kalifornia and the Spring/Winter/Fall in Nevada. With that being said it is nice to be able to shoot and buy what you want in NV without fear of anti-gun Nazis sending you to jail over the archaic and arbitrary gun laws. The Clark County Shooting Park is very nice with a 200 yard range. It is a county facility. I would never expect to see a Los Angeles County Shooting Park in my lifetime. There is also a private gun club that has a 1000 yard range I may consider joining just to see how well some of my boomers do over 200 yards. Oh well, life is a compromise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts