M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carrying unloaded rifles in public would be prohibited under hotly contested legislation that passed the Assembly on Thursday.

Assembly Bill 1527 cleared the lower house, 44-28, with no Republican support.

Proposed by Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-La Cañada Flintridge, the bill stems from the "open carry" movement in which gun-brandishing people protest against gun-control laws.

The movement sparked headlines in 2009 for a rally outside an Arizona convention center where President Barack Obama was speaking.

California cracked down on carrying unloaded handguns with a new law that took effect Jan. 1. Portantino's bill would expand that prohibition by targeting rifles.

"Sooner or later, somebody's going to get hurt," Portantino said of open carry. "If you see somebody walking around a mall or main street with a shotgun, it's pretty intimidating. It's unnecessary, and it is just going to lead to trouble."

Opponents counter that AB 1527 would create a new obstacle to the constitutional right to bear arms and would do nothing to reduce violence because criminals do not honor such laws.

Members of the open carry movement are "law-abiding citizens who have no evil, nefarious purpose," said Republican Assemblyman Jim Nielsen of Gerber.

Assemblywoman Norma Torres, D-Pomona, asked colleagues to imagine themselves inside a restaurant when a gun-wielding person walked in. "How would you feel, not knowing the mental state of that person?" she asked. "I would be afraid."

Assemblyman Ben Hueso, D-San Diego, said he considers AB 1527 a pro-business bill because communities must be "free from intimidation" if the state hopes to boost tourism.

The bill allows dozens of exceptions, including carrying a rifle on private property with permission of the owner, carrying it in a gun show, or carrying it for use at a target-shooting range, a parade or while hunting.

Opposing the bill, the National Rifle Association of America told lawmakers its "extreme nature" is illustrated by its exceptions.

Numerous exceptions "reflect the fact that firearms are a normal and integral part of American culture and are handled or carried in a variety of perfectly innocent and legitimate contexts," the NRA said.

AB 1527 carries a penalty of up to six months in jail for displaying an unloaded rifle in public. It calls for a maximum penalty of one year in jail if the offender also carries ammunition for the weapon.

The bill now goes to the Senate.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/04/4464848/california-assembly-oks-measure.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I am glad that I wake up every day, and I am not waking in Kommiefornia.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm soooo glad I moved outta there!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Glad I left in 2001.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I JUST moved out of communista-fornia in feb. I am still trying to let it go................the loathing that is....................perfect microcosm of whats wrong with the USA.

·
Read Only
2,231 Posts
How many tourists are they expecting?

If this is considered to be a pro-business pro-tourism bill I'd hate to see what they would consider to be an anti-tourism bill. Who would want to spend their vacation in sa strange state where the criminal element KNOWS that all native law-abiding citizens as well as all hapless tourists are disarmed?

I dread the thought of having to go to IL, CA, NJ, MD, MA or NY on business. Who would choose to go there for pleasure?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i understand why people would not want to come vacation in ny
( live in ny and dont blame you for not coming, although it is very
nice in some areas, ie catskills and adirondacks)

i have my ny permit and various non-resident permits and i try to
work my vacations to include those states

i dont go to nyc much but hate to go there because i cant carry, even
with my ny state permit....

i vote with my feet.....and my dollars....

i think probably many of us do......

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
well this basically means your bear food in the national parks then?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Assemblywoman Norma Torres, D-Pomona, asked colleagues to imagine themselves inside a restaurant when a gun-wielding person walked in. "How would you feel, not knowing the mental state of that person?" she asked. "I would be afraid."
This is what is wrong with our society in general today, people believe that they have the right to limit your activities based on their own fears and misconceptions. The assemblywoman wants to limit your activities based on what she THINKS you MIGHT do. We have moved away from a legal system that controls behavior and to a system that controls thoughts.

Because the assemblywoman is fearful she believes that she has the right to mandate your activities in a way that makes her feel better. This kind of narcissistic and anti-social personality has become very common nowadays. She doesn't see that the opposite of her argument is just as valid. She doesn't see that her law has now caused me to feel threatened.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
RAMMAC I gave you a thanks only because it wouldn't let me give you two. Spot on.

CLAP2

1 - 20 of 130 Posts