M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello M14/M1A experts,
I just picked up a CMP M1A kit and I live in Cali.
I have been looking at Smith, 7.62 and a few others for a BR with bolt... any opinions?
( I heard the recent complaints about 7.62 and also their good deals). I also need to know which flash/ compensators are legal for CA and are best for my weapon. I know Smith has some great options, but they haven't gotten back to my customer service question about the same. I am open to any other points of interest or suggestions that a newbie to M14's should ask, but I have not yet asked. Thanks for your time and suggestions specifically about BR's and bolts and the flash/compensator options.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
If it's considered a muzzle brake you're safe.

(b) “flash suppressor” means any device that reduces or conceals the visible light or flash created when a firearm is fired. This definition includes flash hiders, but does not include compensators and muzzle brakes (devices attached to or integral with the muzzle barrel to utilize propelling gasses for counter-recoil).

The SEI USCG brake is good, Smith Enterprise's gunsmith Andy is on the forum so he should be able to answer your questions regarding it. Is this going on a 22" barrel? 82nd ABN has a group buy for some specially made JP tac comps with Delta P Designs muzzle adapters. LRB sells a muzzle brake that's similar looking to the E2 brake. There's the old SA Inc. brake. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting or don't know about... The Delta P Designs muzzle adapter allows you to use any 5/8 X 24 tpi brake for 7.62mm/.30cal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SE, I am in the same boat and based on what I have been reading, looks like the JP with the Delta P is the way to go. At first, I didn't like it....but the more I kept looking at it, it grew on me. I guess it is a function over form thing. I get to take home my baby tomorrow, my first M1A :).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a ca legal fake FS from Ted Brown aka the shooters den (just google it) and it has a bayo lug, and millings that look like a FS but, do not go all the way through and thus it's just a basically a barrel device. I think LRB sells one also. I paid 85 bucks and could not tell the difference in performance between the real USGI FS that was on the rifle when it came to me (I shot a few CMP matches with it before I got worried about the law) and the one from Ted. Looks great, and basically does nothing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you looked at the pri muzzle brake?I forge the name of it I know the556version is called 556 fsc.I have the 30cal version on my 6.8 it is fantastic.Being from new jersey I have to deal with STUPID GUN LAWS TOO!!The flash hider doesn't hide the flash they can see where you shot from!At least in Calif. you can own a m1 carbine we cant.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Okay, welcome to the wacky laws of CA. I think you're on "relatively" safe legal ground if the [whatever is on the end of your gun] is marketed and labled as a Muzzle Brake across the country (not just CA). But an even simpler rule I heard was:

slots = flash supressor = illegal
holes = muzzle brake = legal

Is it stupid? HELLZ YAH.

/I am not a lawyer and I don't even play one on tv.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Everybody likes the one that they have best...
How true, how true. More or less anyway.

I have both the SAI and an SEI USCG brakes. They're both fine. If I had to pick one it'd be the SEI. It's a better brake, more substantially built and I'm a sucker for well done machining which this thing has in spades. The SAI wins out as the better deal and it's quieter for the shooter and bystanders.

My preference would be a USGI flash suppressor as originally issued for the M14, but that's California Dreaming. To get something that looks close I am eyeballing Young Manufacturing's YM14 Brake. While my guess is it won't be allowed in sanctioned competitions, it's visually closer to the original. I haven't heard anything definitive about whether it is CA legal or not.

Ted Brown's faux suppressors are another option and to my knowledge they are competition approved.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SEI appears to be good stuff...

Thanks for the advice... checked out both the USCG and the CA legal version... very nice!

If it's considered a muzzle brake you're safe.

(b) “flash suppressor” means any device that reduces or conceals the visible light or flash created when a firearm is fired. This definition includes flash hiders, but does not include compensators and muzzle brakes (devices attached to or integral with the muzzle barrel to utilize propelling gasses for counter-recoil).

The SEI USCG brake is good, Smith Enterprise's gunsmith Andy is on the forum so he should be able to answer your questions regarding it. Is this going on a 22" barrel? 82nd ABN has a group buy for some specially made JP tac comps with Delta P Designs muzzle adapters. LRB sells a muzzle brake that's similar looking to the E2 brake. There's the old SA Inc. brake. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting or don't know about... The Delta P Designs muzzle adapter allows you to use any 5/8 X 24 tpi brake for 7.62mm/.30cal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Service counts...

I am leaning towards Smith's versions due to Andy's quick reply with valuable info... Good service and communication usually speaks volumes about a quality product...

SE, I am in the same boat and based on what I have been reading, looks like the JP with the Delta P is the way to go. At first, I didn't like it....but the more I kept looking at it, it grew on me. I guess it is a function over form thing. I get to take home my baby tomorrow, my first M1A :).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will check it out...

Great information... thanks

QUOTE=Michael C;675804]I got a ca legal fake FS from Ted Brown aka the shooters den (just google it) and it has a bayo lug, and millings that look like a FS but, do not go all the way through and thus it's just a basically a barrel device. I think LRB sells one also. I paid 85 bucks and could not tell the difference in performance between the real USGI FS that was on the rifle when it came to me (I shot a few CMP matches with it before I got worried about the law) and the one from Ted. Looks great, and basically does nothing.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Words to remember...

This a great phrase to keep things simple... thanks for the "KISS" muzzle break technique!

Okay, welcome to the wacky laws of CA. I think you're on "relatively" safe legal ground if the [whatever is on the end of your gun] is marketed and labled as a Muzzle Brake across the country (not just CA). But an even simpler rule I heard was:

slots = flash supressor = illegal
holes = muzzle brake = legal

Is it stupid? HELLZ YAH.

/I am not a lawyer and I don't even play one on tv.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still leaning towards SEI USCG...

Thanks for the input... I definitely feel good about the SEI products and Andy contacting me with their info helped seal the deal so far...

How true, how true. More or less anyway.

I have both the SAI and an SEI USCG brakes. They're both fine. If I had to pick one it'd be the SEI. It's a better brake, more substantially built and I'm a sucker for well done machining which this thing has in spades. The SAI wins out as the better deal and it's quieter for the shooter and bystanders.

My preference would be a USGI flash suppressor as originally issued for the M14, but that's California Dreaming. To get something that looks close I am eyeballing Young Manufacturing's YM14 Brake. While my guess is it won't be allowed in sanctioned competitions, it's visually closer to the original. I haven't heard anything definitive about whether it is CA legal or not.

Ted Brown's faux suppressors are another option and to my knowledge they are competition approved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do Ted and LRB's fake FH's compare to USGI FH's in terms of sound suppression and/or muzzle rise? I understand they "aren't supposed to do anything", but would that mean they are louder or give more rise than USGI? Or just about the same? I like the lines of the USGI FH's and would love to be able to mount a bayonet because...well...I can, if the functionality tradeoffs aren't too great. Would Young's YM14 be better in these regards? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.