M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a S.A. Scout type rifle and 1 like new U.S.G.I. mags was included.The markings are C.M.I. I belive it is Check Mate Industries The seller has about a dozen like new mags for sale.He is asking $50.00 bucks Ea.Are these mags special and worth the money or should I just order some mags from Coles Dist.Also who is C.M.I. Thanks in advance Ray
p.s. He is local to me so no shipping or tax

·
Registered
947 Posts
Go with Coles, they're not this expensive.

Cole's good condition mags look like their like new mags which have been to the range a few times. Like news look excellent after one trip. It's your money.

Several places, including www.ammoman.com have M14 magazines of undetermined parentage which work fine according to posts here and elsewhere. They're less than $15 each.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Bill, Check Mate Industries made some twenty rounders during the 1990-1991 Gulf War as well as the post-AW Ban 1996 production run. C.M.I. also made ten rounders. We have three ten round C.M.I. magazines and they work perfectly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recently purchased a safe queen M1a made 1/91 and it came with a CMI mag in a plastic package. Never heard of a USGI in a plastic package. No markings on the outside. I opened it up and it was brand new. Seller could only find one of the mags that went with the rifle. SA inc purchase some these to ship with new rifles back in 1991? :?:

BTW, it fits tight but works great.

·
Registered
846 Posts
from my experience, it's just the finish that's not good on the CMI mags. the function of mine has been flawless as with any USGI M14 mags.

the CMI mags i have opened were in the paper wrap with one side coated metal (aluminum?) some were in a double wrap of this kind of paper. it would not surprise me if SA inc rewrapped the mags in their own wrapper.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The CMI mags produced during the time of OP DESERT STORM, are known to be of lower quality,that was the last produced USGI M14 mag for civilian use

RED DOT

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.I guess at $50.00 bucks a pop ill just stick with those mags from Coles Dist. .The quality of my mag seems pretty good I have yet to use it at the range So Ill find out function then.I guess now the question is going to be about coles mags and wich grade of mag is the best value (very good,like new or new in wrap) and would there be any possibility of getting C.M.I. mags from them.thanks again Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.