M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am trying to talk my dad into getting an m1a and trying to get him to build a CMP kit one. I have one that Jon Wolfe built for me vs getting a Springfield. His theory is that Springfield has a lifetime warranty and is only $1400 at cmp during nationals and if anything breaks you send it back in. My thing was the GI parts are tried and true and should last over a lifetime. He is just going to use it for range says and at CMP for nationals.
Any thought on either way to go?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Something built right doesn't need a warranty. If a warranty is what you need to fell good about then you would drive a Hyundai with it 10 year warranty.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have owned a SA M1A Super Match for over 10 years and shoot it regularly without issue.
If he wants a SA why not? Not sure the deal on not liking a good warranty, doesn't make much sense to me.

Reactions: bustedknuckles

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
The thing is GI parts DO break ask anyone why they keep spare parts.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Personaly, I don't like having to send my brand new M1A in to get it fixed because they couldn't do it right the first time. Just my thoughts!
I agree but all manufacturers make a mistake (some more than others if you do the research and I'm not referring to SAI)

wouldn't you rather be able to send it in for something small like "off spec receiver"

7.62 or someone like that is less likely to fix things that are considered picky.

·
Registered
153 Posts
-

Apples and oranges. I built 3 CMP kits because I wanted GI parts and because I have my own blasting cabinet, parkerizing tank, barrel vice and receiver wrench. Having someone else do a build makes the CMP kit an expensive way to go compared to a $1400 SAI that they'll fix if it ever breaks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is nice that SAI has a life time warrenty for the unforseen things that might go wrong. I for one am of the mind that it should be right the first time and you should not have to send back a new product for repair. Quality control should make it right on delivery! That is what made america great once but it is not the norm anymore. Now you spend $1500 plus and hope you don't have to send it back! Not my idea of a good product.

Sorry, I bough a SOCOM 16 a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't worked right from the get go. The recever is so out of spec that the firing pin hangs up on the safty bridge and the bolt will not go home without having to hit the op rod with the palm of my hand 90% of the time. I am very disapointed in SAI right now. I will never buy an off the rack SAI again.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you are paying for it do the build. I dad is paying for it let him get what he wants. I have three Springfields all doing well. IF you read some of the problems some have with the CMP kits. Damaged parts that need to be replaced or refinished. Us old guys don't have time for that. My rifles shoot as good as I need.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I bought CMP kits because it is like opening Christmas presents when They come.I love the surprise of finding makers and such...hey,anything to bring a bit of Christmas joy during the Year.I also love that I'm giving new life to parts the govt deemed worthless and that makes Me happy!

·
Retired
4,820 Posts
The thing is GI parts DO break ask anyone why they keep spare parts.
Well, it's been my experience that USGI parts seldom fail, and end up turning into another rifle. I would go with a CMP parts kit and a quality receiver.GI1

Reactions: nf1e and cat doctor

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I don't think the Springfield vs "whatever" argument will ever end. Personally I like the lifetime warranty and I'm sure if I ever sell the rifle the new owner will certainly like having a lifetime warranty instead of buying a pig in a poke.

I can understand that some folks like building their own rifle with parts they've selected. But a bunch of us just want one for a truck gun, target shooting or a Katrina situation. A Springfield does all of this without breaking the bank. A few known problem areas can readily have those parts changed out for USGI. I think this is the reason Springfield has produced 90% of semiautomatic M14 type rifles ever built.

Are some brands "better" than Springfield? Certainly if you're looking for fit and finish. But I don't think any coyote can tell if they were shot by a particular brand.

Reactions: sac troop

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy anything that SAI builds in the way of an M-1A these days due to the fact that they are built using Taiwanese cast commercially produced parts. If your dad could find a nice clean low mileage unmolested Preban M-1A, built back when USGI parts were cheap and abundant. That is something entirely different and I would pay extra for a preban vs their currently produced products.

I love the M-14 rifle platform and I prefer shopping around and finding low mileage Chinese Polytech M-14's due to their forged receivers, chrome lined barrels and one piece forged op rods. Then I replace everything else on them with USGI parts and I end up with a close copy of a USGI M14 right down to the the forged receiver. But that's just me and everyone of us are on a different trip when it comes to magnificent M14...

7th

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Beginning in about 1943, government specifications required that receivers be manufactured from 8620 forged steel and this requirement continued with the adoption of the M14. Many of the M-1 receivers we were issued had been rebuilt at least 2-3 times and even in peacetime, these typically led a hard life and were still going strong when obsoleted and remain in use. In terms of demonstrated durability, there are no commercial receivers for either Garands or M14s that have withstood the test of time to anywhere near the duration of government spec. forged receivers. All of our rifles are well cared for, but some in routine use have receivers over 70 years old. Much has been made of warranties, but the receivers made to government standards also have these. Forged vs. cast? The decision was made for me during WWII. As for unused spare parts, these usually turn into new M14s.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Fathers can be and are stubborn. It's his money and I think that an SAI will last him his life time. However the CMP route and a forged receiver is the better choice.

Although not all CMP grade A kits are grade A. It's luck of the draw. When I received mine the op rod needed to be re tabbed, trigger pins needed replacing, all parts needed to be reparkerized.

I do not think that you will convince him so go along with the program and just rub it in later when the SAI has to go back for warranty.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The majority of SAI rifles don't have to go back for warranty work. There's so much talk about warranty work on these rifles because the vast majority of M1A's are SAI's.
He's your Dad. I'd respect his wishes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like to believe I'm going to walk out my door tomorrow into a world of ruins. If that ever happens I don't want my first trek to be to SAI to see if they will fix my broken rifle.

I choose higher quality and good maintenance over depending on someone else to fix my problems.

Not that I don't enjoy SAI rifles I've owned a couple but it's not something I look forward to passing down to my children.

CMP gets my vote

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.