M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and am looking to buy my first M1A. I would like to hear y'alls opinions on who makes the best rifle.

My only experience with M1As has been with Springfield Armory rifles. Are Springfield Armory rifles any good? I have heard that their cast receivers are not always the best quality; is this true? Also, if i buy a used Springfield Armory, are there certain dates of manufacture that I should avoid?

I've heard a lot of good things about the James River Armory rifles. As of right now, I'm leaning towards buying a JRA m1a because it has a forged receiver. Does it make a difference if the receiver is cast or forged?

If anyone has any experiences and advice they would like to share about buying your first M1A, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Welcome from SE GA.

What are your goals and budget for a M14 type rifle?

Looking for a good used rifle check out the PX here.

SAI, JRA (BULA Defense), LRB are good choices.

High end custom builds from the M14 Masters - Ted Brown, Wolfe Firearms, Tonyben, etc.

Really the choice is yours.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I have no idea OP.

I just shoot the one I have and enjoy it!

Buy the one you like and learn it well... There is much to learn later!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
And, here we go again! Welcome aboard, but you will find this is a touchy subject with some folks.

Really, just do your research, find your budget, find what you want to use the rifle for. The really nice thing about these rifles is that it is perfectly okay to own more than one from more than one manufacturer!

Don't worry, you will find what you want.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
SAI

I would suggest you look into a SAI National Match model, it will come to you with most of the accuracy improvement modifications done at the factory.

Another reason to look at the SAI is the lifetime warranty.

Rich

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Welcome to the forum neighbor!

If I were buying my first rifle, I would look for an older SAI M1A with USGI parts or one of the JRAs. A friend just received a standard length JRA and it looks very good.

But, there is this very good deal (I have no dog in this fight), if you would like to assemble your own.

I just built this one with a barreled receiver like the one above.

Reactions: R700P308

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beautiful rifle Deacon. I just dropped the hammer on one of the JRA M14s today. Can't wait to get it. They look like a great rifle at a good price. Time will tell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Advice?....... Buy it! I convinced a friend to sell his unused AR for a Standard. He was hooked after the first mag! I feel you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My first one was a Springfield Loaded M1A. It was an excellent rifle and pretty darn accurate. I sold it in order to put together a LRB M14. It's also a solid rifle. No complaints with either.

M

·
0 Posts
I had the M-14 in USMC Recruit Training in Sept. 1971 then 4 months later they issued us the M-16...what a letdown.
Since I have had several M1-A MAGAZINE fed rifles and one Scout model, you might check out the Loaded Version that Springfield Armory sells.
If I could only have one I would go for that version and stock up on Ammo and Mags. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
For a first M14 pattern rifle I usually recommend a Standard or Loaded, with a walnut stock. Lifetime warranty, easily upgraded or rebarreled.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
The loaded model. For the minimal amount of upcharge over the standard, you get a more accurate shooting rifle, and a better trigger pull.

Model 9222 in walnut.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would definitely recommend staying way from a bedded rifle as your first M14 type rifle. Your going to want to be able to take the rifle apart and learn the inner workings without having to worry about messing up the bedding job. With my first rifle i took it apart at least 20 - 30 times before i even took it out to the range.

Loaded is a great starting point. Comes with a NM barrel NM Trigger Group and a NM Front Blade. It also allows you to make upgrades on your rifle to your liking.

I started with a loaded in a archangel. Out of the box it was a great rifle it did take some time to learn how to shoot the rifle. During your time learning how to shoot a m14 type rifle you will also learn how to clean dissasemble and learn different shooting techniques.

After i learned how to shoot my rifle accurately i started messing around with changing internal parts. My first upgrade was changing out the stock to a sage chassis. Then i started playing around with different pistons, oprod springs, muzzel devices etc.

I'm coming up to 7 months with my first m14 type rifle and im still learning new stuff every week.

Whatever manufacturer or model you chose i'm certain you will have a great time with this piece of american history.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a few and my favorite is a late 1980s GI Springfield and my standard LRB Arms. For your first I recommend a "Loaded" Springfield. You get some good up-graded parts and a match barrel. It's a little heavier, but more accurate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts