M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy some 20 rounders and live in NY State. What are the decent mags to buy? What should be the most I pay for them and where are you folks getting them at? If there is no date stamp or LEO/Military Only stamp then I guess it could be considered pre-ban in the eyes of the man. No? Not looking for anything other than a reliable magazine, that is the only pre-requisite. Looking for options. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Boom Stick, I think you need to get in touch with members who live in your home state before you buy anything. Like you, I live in a state with asinine laws regarding magazines and even though they are stupid, the statutes call for severe penalties.

Be patient, do not jump into anything that will bring you grief in future. You do have options, make sure you exercise them carefully. FWIW

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
CMI 20's are out for a NY State resident ....even though CMI's factory is less than 20 miles from my house...they are a no-go

You will need KMT, BRW, OM, W coded/stamped magazines...there are a few others that are around...UHC I believe is another

these are identifiable as pre-ban original USGI contract magazines by the stamping on the back of the mag and

as such they predate the 1994 AWB that is still in effect at the state-level for NY

To learn up on mags do a search on Magazines or preban magazines etc. on this site

Keep your eye on the PX board down below on the main page of this site as preban mags do come up for sale fairly regularly...also GunBroker is another potential source

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
CMI 20's are out for a NY State resident ....even though CMI's factory is less than 20 miles from my house...they are a no-go

You will need KMT, BRW, OM, W coded/stamped magazines...there are a few others that are around...UHC I believe is another

these are identifiable as pre-ban original USGI contract magazines by the stamping on the back of the mag and

as such they predate the 1994 AWB that is still in effect at the state-level for NY

To learn up on mags do a search on Magazines or preban magazines etc. on this site

Keep your eye on the PX board down below on the main page of this site as preban mags do come up for sale fairly regularly...also GunBroker is another potential source
THIS.

I don't think 44mag will even sell to anyone with a CA or NY address to begin with.

You'll definitely want to get pre-ban magazines. Lots of guys will do swaps and whatnot to help out their brethren in the states wherein lawmakers have more time than brains.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
44 mag website disassembles the CMI mags and sells them as parts repair kit to NYers. They charge an extra 1.49 for that service per mag. Are CMI mags date stamped? Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't mess with the CMI mags or parts kits. Manufacturing i.e. assembling a hi cap (over ten rounds) mag is also a felony in NY. To me, its not worth a possible felony rap to save a few bucks on a mag. Buy pre-ban (pre-1994), GI marked mags as described above. Plenty of deals if you look round. Personally, I'll pay up to $35.00 for a good GI condition mag, and have paid quite a bit less by careful shopping.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Here, my buddy sells these.

They're Unused USGI 20 rounders. A few people here have allready bought some.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10364253

You may want to call and see if he has any left.

If you do, tell him that Richard told you about this. (I get a %
now GI5)
Yes I got some from him They Were 100% USGI one was a BR-W B2 when Different looked at the pictures I posted he thought it was a Fake.I sent it to Different for a face to face inspection. Although it has some anomaly's He Confirmed 100% USGI

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Not sure this will help, but try Armalite. They used USGI mags that were then modified for the AR10 platform back in the national ban days. From time to time they offer these for sale; some modified, some not. I believe the modified versions will still function in an M14, but please verify this first. Not trying to generate a sale, but if you find they will work, I may have a few that we can work something out on; I prefer to use the new Gen 2 mags for my AR10 anyway. Good luck.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
999 Posts
greetings,

not sure this will help, but try armalite. They used usgi mags that were then modified for the ar10 platform back in the national ban days. From time to time they offer these for sale; some modified, some not. I believe the modified versions will still function in an m14, but please verify this first. Not trying to generate a sale, but if you find they will work, i may have a few that we can work something out on; i prefer to use the new gen 2 mags for my ar10 anyway. Good luck.

Regards, jim
locking tab on back is removed to use in ar. Will not latch in 14 after mod's

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are 20rd magazines legal in NY? It goes county by county, doesn't it? I don't believe 20rd mags are legal in NJ, even pre-ban pieces. I'd hate to get pulled over on a traffic stop by some eager ticket writing local yokel or trooper and have to hire an lawyer to sort out the mess. I've seen 20rd pre-ban USGI mags at gunshows, CMI's in original wrapper dated 1964 $35 apiece.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm new to the m14 so forgive me if i'm on the wrong track.

I been buying the ones from www.cdnninvestments.com there affordable and fit good too. I been buying the 25rd ($11) the 10rd($14) and the 5rd ($14)mags. For the USGI m14 accessories i been going to www.northridgeinc.com for the cleaning sets/oiler. I got the national match recoil spring guide from www.brownells.com and the extra power recoil spring from wolf springs. I hope i'm going in the right direction. I look at the m14/m1a mags at www.sportsmansguide.com but i haven't bought them yet in the 10 pack. Bill

Trust me i know all about mags that don't work too. I got every mag to function for the sks's in the past and its all about the inside of the mag width that can vary along with a tight follower. Once i knew the inside dimention can vary top to bottom i found the center widths to be tighter. Then i sanded the width of the followers till they fall freely form the top to the bottom. Once there properly fitted correctly they will run flawlessly(30rds to all of them) The reproduction m1a/m14 mags seem a much better quality over the sks mags anyway. Once they lock up the only thing we could have wrong is the spring quality right? So far they all fit and lock up ok there easy to change out too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are 20rd magazines legal in NY? It goes county by county, doesn't it? I don't believe 20rd mags are legal in NJ, even pre-ban pieces. I'd hate to get pulled over on a traffic stop by some eager ticket writing local yokel or trooper and have to hire an lawyer to sort out the mess. I've seen 20rd pre-ban USGI mags at gunshows, CMI's in original wrapper dated 1964 $35 apiece

New York State adopted a copy of the old federal ban without a sunset provision. Therefore any mag over ten rounds has to have been made prior to 9/94 to be legal under state law. (NY City, Rochester and Buffalo have their own local ordinances on semi-autos and mags as well).

Now the burden is on the people (prosecution) to prove your mags are illegal-but the general consensus among the shooters I know is that the most prudent course is to have mags that can be shown to be pre-ban by markings, design, manufacturer, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have paid as much as $40.00 or $50.00 for a in the wrap USGI mag at guns shows, before the price went down a few years back. $35.00 for a USGI mag is a O.K price.
Yeah, I see 'em all the time, except they're illegal to possess in NY and NJ. I stick with 10rd SAI mags because I don't want any hassles from the police. I've never experienced one bit of trouble with OEM SAI mags. Take 'em apart, clean and degrease, knock down any burrs or sharp edges with a swiss file or emery cloth and you're good to go. I've done this to cheap chinese gunshow mags which weren't quite up spec, they work fine.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.