M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m14-starter-kit.aspx

Here is the link that gave me the idea. I've thought about getting a Springfield m1a for a while now but then I saw this at half the price. Plus it says it is an m14 not an m1a so what parts of it are GI and how good is this bula forged receiver? My largest concern was assembling the rifle because it defeats the purpose of buying the kit if I just have to pay a smith to assemble it anyways. Are there online instructions on how to do this and the tool list required and is it clear enough for someone with no smithing experience to figure this out with their own rifle the first time on their own. If I am able to do this I will likely buy more and help my friends build theirs.

·
Premium Member
16,195 Posts
Welcome from CT.

Looks like a great deal, but if you have no experience or tools for assembling an M14 it can be a daunting task, unless of coarse you have a small degree of mechanical aptitude and can follow simple instructions and patience enough not to rush through your project.
Very rewarding to put your own M14 together and make it run.
The main problem, in my case, is that once one is completed the next is on the horizon. Very addictive.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
"A fraction of the price" equates to 7/8ths, especially when the novice buys the remaining parts individually. OK, maybe comes in at 3/4ths. There is some savings, but more work and potential headaches for our intrepid novice.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
That’s not half the price it’s only 1/3 the parts. Although for the parts they show it’s not a bad deal.
Figure right now acinexpensive receiver at retail is $500, barrel $200ish and bolt on sale about $200 ish
You still need all the small parts, then put it together plus any FFL transfer fees and such

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
you can easily get all above parts here on the forum. welcome.
Sure but not for nothing. All those "other" parts add up. The kit aint no bargain in m view if money is a consideration. Its not a bad deal as long as one doesn't do it to save money, cause he wont.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just built my first M14 and you can do better than Sarco. Great guys here! I got a new SA Oprod for 90 bucks here shipped! Everyone here is awesome.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Sure but not for nothing. All those "other" parts add up. The kit aint no bargain in m view if money is a consideration. Its not a bad deal as long as one doesn't do it to save money, cause he wont.
I'm with WaM14gunner on this one.

Yeah, . . . parts are available here, . . . and elsewhere, . . . but today's price for an M1A loaded is only 1600 or thereabouts, . . . assembled, . . . ready to go, . . . and it is done with better parts than most of the "GI" parts available today.

It also comes with a match barrel, match sights, and a match trigger group.

Doesn't make sense to me to buy the Sarco kit unless you just want the fun of putting one together yourself.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I put one together with no prior experience. Just the assembly guide, some help from this forum, a lot of time, the patience to read, wait, ask, read again, and some tools that tipped the end price far over what it would have cost to just buy one. I really don't want to add it up.

I am happy with my decision, and hope to get to it again sooner than later. But, the reward of doing it yourself is not economy.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Not an m14 or an M1a. An M14 is a select fire military weapon capable of being full auto. The M1a is a brand name belonging to SAI that is semi automatic only. Remember; If something sounds too good to be true it probably is and you get what you pay for. If you want cheap, get an AR. If you want good, buy an M1a type rifle. Lots of good buys on used rifles. Be patient stick around here a bit and learn.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Keep an eye out on these.
https://www.dupagetrading.com/product/usgi-m14-parts-kit/
I snagged one for $400 few weeks ago. All HR that i can tell and in great shape. Found a Rock ola receiver locally added a Criterion barrel and LRB bolt. Some money to local smith to install barrel and finish ream (i got lazy here i did not want to buy a reamer or barrel block for vise)
Itching to get it slung up and on target. Function test went %100

Keep an eye out on the gun deal web sites. I have seen some good deals in the past. The standard with syn stock was on grab a gun briefly for under $1200 and seen loaded pop up for 13ish.

Keep you eyes open and wallet ready for deals.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Also watch shipping charges, it can add up. Some places shipping is silly . A vendor a use ships UPS only even very small parts and the minimum charge is like $12.50!
i did pretty good on my build and only into shipping for $23

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I did not look at the link in detail and I assumed it was just a complete it but I would have made sure to look at it further if I was going to order it. That being said, this isn't worth it to me anymore. I knew there would be some capital costs and work involved but I thought I was getting a better quality rifle for nearly half the price and that was what I was excited for.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Plus, it says Out of Stock. If they don't have it, they can list the kit for 20 bucks. Can't buy it anyways...

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
Start with a Lifetime guarantee from SAI. IMHO. If you insist on building one, I suggest watching Tonyben videos, and starting with a barrelled action, which won't have that lifetime guarantee. A used SAI rifle will also be covered by a guarantee, and you can find some nice ones. Watch the PX for parts and rifles.

Reactions: tonyben and stoky

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I suggest getting one of the fully built JRA rifles from Classic. Great price, forged receiver and other parts too. That said, I enjoy building them, and that joy cost me extra usually. The cost of tools, gages, learning time, all adds up, but for me it is worth it. If all you want is a nice semi-auto M14, then get it already built. JRA for a standard, or Ted Brown, Fulton, Jon Wolf for high end custom builds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I suggest getting one of the fully built JRA rifles from Classic. Great price, forged receiver and other parts too. That said, I enjoy building them, and that joy cost me extra usually. The cost of tools, gages, learning time, all adds up, but for me it is worth it. If all you want is a nice semi-auto M14, then get it already built. JRA for a standard, or Ted Brown, Fulton, Jon Wolf for high end custom builds.
Be advised when ordering a JRA though. To classic, “in stock” means “we're willing to tell JRA to build it in the future at some point”. It’s been three weeks since I ordered an “in stock” JRA and Classic still has no idea when they’ll actually have it to ship to me. But by god, they billed my credit card on day 1...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Rich D has the best advice. For me, as a brand new, wet behind the ears
wanting and finally able to get an M14/M1A I'm glad I went with the SAI Loaded
and learned from Tony Ben videos and the wealth of knowledge from the forum.
You have something to go to the range with and learn the rifle.
There is a tremendous amount of info and history on the rifle to absorb.
And now I have 3 and counting....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts