M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a used M14/M1A rifle. Any advise on what I should look at or check for any defects?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tells us if it's a SAI, Polytech, Norinco or ? Post some pictures with the rifle field stripped and get detailed pictures of the trigger group, bolt, etc. if possible. That would be a start. I may not be much help with the technical but there are others here with plenty of experience to guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Look for the same things you would in a used car or other piece of equipment. While you can't get a Carfax on a rifle, the "history" means a lot to me. We note your location..... Was it packed in cosmoline for the past 75 years or was it in someone's closet, exposed to the elements?

How many miles does it have on it? (Rounds fired).......

Post some photos for an evaluation.

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply guys hopefully I will be able to check it out in a couple of days time. I'll gather more info as I can. Really wanted to buy one as a time piece that I can pass on to my son and hopefully will be passed on forward to whoever who will take good care of it.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
In the P.I. better look for rust.
In the PI the last thing on my mind was rust....

Post some pics of whatever you buy....from outside with that beautiful countryside in the background!

....if not too much trouble perhaps a pic of your rifle on a balcony overlooking Magsaysay?...; )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts