M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a M1A. I am looking at both the Scout and Socom.. I have been reading here allot and am leaning towards the Scout... Use.... Three Gun matches, and to be honest - just got to have one plus I like things that are different from what everyone else may have.. I had a super nice one (standard) back in 77 but like most things, it got sold... I have noticed the scout barrel is 1.75 inches longer but the over all gun is 40.33 compared to 37.25??? why the difference in muzzle stabilizer compared to the muzzle brake??? And please what am I giving up or gaining by going to the Scout or Socom. This Gun I will Keep this time... I like the shorty's over the standard... Maybe because I am only 5'6"

Last question,,,, what have been the best prices found for both
Socom,,,
Scout - walnut stock

·
Registered
947 Posts
My Bush rifle (formerly a Scout but I removed the gee haws) weighs within an once of what my standard M14 weighs. Only "feature" is slightly shorter length and I'm not sure that's a real benefit on a range.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Harley Rider
I'd stick with the Scout if I were thinkin of maybe one day using it tactically. The SOCOM has a killer flash signature. and its more expensive.
The short compensator on the SOCOM keeps the recoil down impressively from what I read, But the blast and flash I am sure I couldn't stand.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Fellow Harley Rider.......

For all around use, I use the Scout/Squad with the Smith Enterprise compensator - it is only a tad longer than the SOCOM. I have one of each and the Scout set up is about the best for most folks, or that is what I have found for my use.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the as the Hardley Rider (sorry brother, couldn't resist).

What do you gusy think about the Bush rifle that SA doesn't market any more? I am still seeing some around NIB. I remember soem posts around here that stated people preferred the old Bush over the Scout. I just sold my Super Match to buy somethig smaller and lighter. I'll put an AIMPOINT or EOTech (or similar) from Dan on there. Lastly, are the front mounts holding the optics strong (unlike the SA 3rd Gen mount)?

Lastly, I hear SA will make a Scout for you with an original Flash Suppressor. Worth it?

Sorry Harley Rider - I'm not trying to hijack your thread. Just trying to get a few more responses for our common situation.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There is a difference!

There is a difference between the Scout and SOCOM - its on the business end of things. This is from a post by EXUMBRIS from around mid-November. I think the thread is titled: New Smith Dovetail Gaslock. Here a portion of the discusssion:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote
okbow68 wrote:
So let me get this right. The scout barrels have the same threads as the full sized barrels? But the socom barrels have a different thread style and pitch? If so that will make my mind up about the socom vs. scout squad. Someone enlighten me.

That sir, would be correct. The gas system had to be modified on the Socom to accomodate a 16 inch barrel. So your options on the Socom are a bit limited....Now the Scout and the Standard have the same threads and interchangability (sp?) options..

end.

So if you purchase a SOCOM - looks like you can kiss your options for the Flash hider / other muzzel break goodbuy.

I have not confirmed this. Anyone?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ive got a scout i think its the best median between it all, the scout you can still shoot out to 700 m until you are going to be effected by the shortened barrel length losing about 200 fps but the socom has a modifyed gas system and I think there isnt a need to have it even shorter the 18 inch barrel is handy enough, again some people think well 20 round mags are good 30 rounders are even better! well i dont think so imo the scout is the best median unless your going to be shooting beyond 700 meters or doing any kinda competion stuff!

hope it helps

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Griff - come on it,,, I love to find all the info I can... What I am finding is kinda like Ford/Chey debate... The Socom lovers love it while the Scout lovers love theirs... I loved my Standard back in the 70's and I do walk to a different beat so both scout and socom apeal to me... One did say he thought the socom comes with a shorter stock??? anyone know?? I doubt I will ever be shooting anything past 200 yards,,, I am over 50 so - 200+ yards - LOL - "what target"???? ;)

Have a friend going to a gunshow this weekend... are there any ident marks or numbers for GI mags and what is the going price these days?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Scout... :D

...without a doubt..!

TM..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go with the Scout. It is more versital. I didn't find out about the SOCOM until after I bought my Scout, and kicked myself for a few days until somone I knew bought one. It (the SOCOM) is noticably shorter, and feels handy, but the Scout is just as handy and doesn't bark as loud.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hawk said:
I see ya shoot with a built in brass catcher..... :x_mrgreen:
Good one!! =D>

TM...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I believe that Hawk is referring to the low roof above the firer's position, please correct me if I'm wrong Hawk :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why is everyone bashing the SOCOM? I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and I am very pleased with it. Muzzle rise is next to nothing and it is very accurate with the ammo I've tried so far. In my chronos of several brands of ammo I am getting an average of approx. 2450 fps. with most loads. Yea, it is loud and has a pronounced flash but I don't see either of these as a drawback, seeing as the extremely overall short length is a great plus.
Go to your local gun shop and try one on for size. I think you'll like it! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.