M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,trying to decide if i should buy a bolt that has had a weld removed/machined off the firing pin hole.guy says that he had the weld machined off and the hardness of the metal was well within specs.just trying to get some input on this,or maybe i should just keep looking for USGI bolts and pass on this.thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Do Not Do IT!!!
It's like buying a welded receiver for an M1 or M14.
Is it worth your life??
Do Not Do It!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
don't do it
a the lest you will be throwing away your money
and at the worst you will have a very bad day
(or the coroner that has to remove the receiver and bolt parts from the hole where your face use to be will have the bad day)GI8

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Seems like it should be illegal to do that; at best it would be unethical. Regardless of how we feel about bolts being welded, when it was done it was meant to be a permanent end to use of that part. I wouldn't consider knowingly buying one.
Seems very dangerous to me.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Run for the hills brother! Don't buy it! I got hosed on gb about a year ago. A dude sold me a welded bolt and I even asked prior to the sale ifit was welded he said no. All these "welded bolts" came off drill rifles. Please write a post saying your not getting it so I can sleep tonight. If you are making a display rifle that won't do anything but hang on the wall and never get used yes then I can see it but not for a rifle you will be using.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone,yeah this bolt is currently on GB with a buy it now of 160.00.someone is actually bidding on it right now.thanks for all your advice,I'm definately not buying it.i will just keep hunting one down.just getting excited,the bolt and barrel is all i need for this build.then seeing a USGI bolt that looks new for 160 bones got me thinkin.then i figured lets ask the pros first.well got my answer,thanks again!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I can't see were that bolt would benefit you at all. Spend a little more and get a usgi or commercial from a reputable dealer. You can find them on this forum and in the PX section.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welded bolts are showing up on at least one of the auction sites again. In case there's anyone here that may be tempted to buy one, please read this thread and some of the included links.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
IMHO purchasing one of these "time bombs" in order to save $40 bucks doesn't make any sense at all. In the building trade we had a old saying "Pennywise, Pound Foolish"

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Wow, someone bought it, unbelievable. These scam artists buy this scrap metal a dime a dozen and then sell it for 1000% profit to unsuspecting people. Disgusting.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Thanks everyone,yeah this bolt is currently on GB with a buy it now of 160.00.someone is actually bidding on it right now.thanks for all your advice,I'm definately not buying it.i will just keep hunting one down.just getting excited,the bolt and barrel is all i need for this build.then seeing a USGI bolt that looks new for 160 bones got me thinkin.then i figured lets ask the pros first.well got my answer,thanks again!
If you are patient I would bet you could find a brand new in the wrap TRW bolt for $200. Keep a eye on the PX, people sell off some of their spare parts on occasion so you should be able to snag one sooner or latter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello all,trying to decide if i should buy a bolt that has had a weld removed/machined off the firing pin hole.guy says that he had the weld machined off and the hardness of the metal was well within specs.just trying to get some input on this,or maybe i should just keep looking for USGI bolts and pass on this.thanks in advance!
These bolts were from de-milled drill rifles these are are why your parts kits from CMP have no barrels or bolts sarco and other attemted to remove weldment and repair. The bolt was welded to the barrels I saw 100s like this. Dont risk It dance2

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Ripsaw is checking out one of the new bolts from 7.62mm and is going to report on it. The photos looked good. If you wait a bit you'll probably be able to buy a brand new bolt that there won't be any questions about.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
That was a quick "Bit" HH, I just finished checking the last barreled receiver, and the bolt evaluation is posted !!.....

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wonder how the seller checked the hardness to determine that the bolt is ok? Some one that buys one of these needs to have there head examined.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts