M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be ordering my first M1A, a Springfield Armory "Standard Loaded" . My plan is to install a USGI stock after I get it. Are the synthetic stocks that Springfield offers good for painting in a camo pattern? If not I plan on ordering the rifle with wood.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Welcome to the forum........

First of all - welcome to the forum. Dollar wise, in my opinion, you would be better off paying for the wood version from Springfield. The synthetic stocks come up for sale frequently at a reasonable price. Wood feels great. The synthetic ones have their good points for sure, but I think you will be pleased with the wood stock. The big thing is that you have one, from there on is an open field. Again, welcome.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Definitely get the wood stock. USGI fiberglass stocks are still easy to find for not a lot of $$$. You may luck out and get a really pretty one that you can keep, sell or trade for other goodies.
BTW, ain't the synthetic S.A. stocks USGI with the crinkle finish applied that has a tendency to start chipping off after not a whole lot of use? You'll pay more for a wood replacement stock than a fiberglass one. Just my 2 cents. Welcome aboard :D .

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought my rifle (SA loaded) with gi glass camo stock. I shoot it a bit 5-600rds. I loved how it shoots, but it looks ugly! I got lucky and found an older sa super match stock at a local gun show. nice straight grained striped walnut very nice to look at!! I fitted this stock and shot for groups. shot for groups again. not happy! my rifle will stay in that ugly glass stock til I have more time and ammo to make it shoot. I'm shooting 100-300yds with m118 or eqal handload 11/2" groups ok?

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Most fiberglass stocks do have a nice tight fit and tend to stay that way much longer. Wood stocks will compress after time. Most shooters that shoot in matches have their wood stock bedded. I like wood, but also have a few glass stocks too. Best of both worlds. It's a whole lot easier and cheaper to get a USGI glass stock than a good looking wood stock. That is why I would order the wood. If you prefer a glass stock one can be bought fairly cheap and you can have it Camo painted, try it yourself or just leave as is.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you want original USGI, then I would tell you to Buy the Walnut with the Cartouche DOD Acceptance stamp, and the 'P' proof mark from SA Inc. As they are hard to find in Excellent Condition, and Also Buy 2 Synthetics from Fred's. He is difficult to buy from but this way you'll get a nice GI Syn. that you can keep as original, and a second to Fart around with, and try different paint patterns on.
Don't forget to get one of Hawks, Dummy kits to complete the GI look. I have seen multiple pics and read multiple posts on his kits. Haven't bought one myself as of yet, but will be as soon as ifigure out how many and types I want to put on my stocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.