M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened the trapdoor on the buttplate of my rifle, and the catch piece flew out, followed by the spring.

The pieces fit back in and the trapdoor latches, but the little catch piece will spring back out when released. I haven't run into this on any other buttplates. Suggestions welcome.
Middkid

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Guess you won't be getting your security back when you move outGI2

Are you sure that you have all of the pieces?

I'll take one of mine off a stock and see if anything is missing.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
it looks as though either the pin is bent broken or missing that holds the latch in the door.

order....

latch is installed in the door with a roll pin to keep it from falling out, then the spring and plungerput in from the opposite side of the door (hinge side). This must be held in place on the back plate while the pin is installed. I think it's probably easier to do it that way then to install the hinge first, but could be done either way.

Once the above has been done, I can't see a way for the spring to come out as the plunger holds it in place.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hawk,
The roll pin is missing, thanks for pointing my lazy eyes to the right place. I think I have a pin kit around; hopefully if I find one that is the right length it will also be the correct diameter!
Middkid

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Good deal.

Unfortunately, I don't have that size. I checked the roll pins I use for switches and it's too large in diameter. You might want to see if you have a small drill bit that will fit in the hole and get the next largest roll pin. Not sure of the length as I didn't take it apart.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
We don't need no stinking roll pins.

My roll pin went AWOL too.

Field expedient latch cacth roll pin - paperclip bent in a U. Just remember to put a drop of grease on it when you clean your rifle and it will outlast us all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can anybody give me any pointers or tips on how to remove the hinge pin? (the solid one) that holds the trap door to the buttplate. What is the best direction to drive it from the top to the bottom or the reverse? The reason I ask is the one extra that I have needs refinishing so I need to dissemble it but from looking at it it looks like the buttplate sort of conforms around the pin. It looks like either direction that I try to drive it will push it into the buttplate before it clears enough to remove the trap door. Any tips to prevent me from messing this up would be helpful.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I'm stuck out of town and will have to wait to make a repair, but have several options now.
Jimjones - look for the tiny roll pin located in the trapdoor; mine came out on its own, sounds like you will need to drive yours out.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Is there a reason the spring has to be so strong ?
No that spring doesn't have to be that strong. I clipped a coil off of mine and it opens much more easily, while still securing the contents. I believe the Dia. of the roll pin is 1/16", but can't find anything data to back that up. Any well stocked hardware store has roll pin kits, so just bring your butt pad in to get the right Dia./and length. dozier

·
Banned
3,773 Posts
Yes the rollpin diameter is 1/16" and 1/4" long.
I had the same thing happen to my latch assembly as well. I had no luck finding the correct size rollpin locally. I had to order a pack of them from Brownells.
I replaced the pin, cut 1 coil off the spring and then honed the latch catch and the area the catch latches to. It now functions properly.
After I did all that, I then ended up replacing the entire buttplate with a USGI buttplate. Lol.

·
Banned
3,773 Posts
I take back the part about being able to find the rollpin locally.
I did find one at my local Grainger store, but it was almost $3.00 for one tiny 1/16"x1/4" rollpin!!
I said to heck with that and ordered a whole pack of them from Brownells for about $5.00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts