M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, all this talk about Lever Guns in Revolver calibers is making me think more about my Rossi Carbine in 44 mag and my S&W 629. I love the 629 but that Rossi kicks the snot outta me. With commercial 240gr Privi Partizan loads she is brutal, bruised my darn shoulder. I'm no sissy . . I can shoot my Garand and 03A3 all day with no problems.

I loaded up some 240gr SP loads using 18gr AA #9, better but still stings. Gotta get some 180gr bullets to try. But I digress . . I have searched for a recoil pad that does not look goofy like those rubber socks that go over the stock . . I'm looking for a rubber buttplate recoil pad . . anyone know a source?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I have one of those carbines. While I'm not bruised, ( almost 300# ) I would definitely agree that the recoil is stout. I bet that a mini 14 rubber aftermarket recoil pad could be made to fit, they both have roughly the same butt stock shape.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,200 Posts
Is the Rossi stock the same shape as a Winchester? They have the worst designed stock I have ever seen, I can shoot 60-100 rounds of 50 BMG off the bench with my 1000yds target rifle all day long but I cant take 5 rounds of 30-30 out of my 1894 Win. It is just brutal. I have a slip on recoil pad I put on it and it is tolerable, I can shoot my .444 marlin all day long and not feel as beat up. I cant imagine what the Rossi is like in .454 Casull with full house loads!

Casey

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
The Henry 44 I fired was stout but only half what my Mauser is like.

You can get off at least a box of ammo with no problem. My rossi44 pistol... you'd be pretty tough if you can dump the cylinder with no breather.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The lever gun butt is narrow, and tends to knife in, instead of spreading the recoil. My uberti 1876 will tire you rather guickly. I had a lace on leather with a built in recoil pad, I will try to find it to get the name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts