M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XM15 E2S Carbine

A rugged, telescoping buttstock adds to the versatility of this .223 Remington caliber carbine, and the ribbed handguards keep swing weight to a minimum. Its handguards, pistol grip and “tele” stock are molded of hard thermoset polymer composite. The heavy barrel, with chrome lined bore and chamber, offers exceptional accuracy for its length and is externally manganese phosphate finished for complete protection against corrosion and rust - as are all steel parts of the weapon. The barrel incorporates a “birdcage” style flash suppressor/compensator with closed bottom to eliminate dust signature when firing in the prone position. The M16A2 sight system, with two flip-up apertures designed for either short range shots at moving targets or long distance accuracy, offers adjustment for windage and elevation. The elevation adjustments are graduated from 300 to 800 meters and automatically compensate for bullet drop. Forged, lightweight 7075T6 aircraft quality aluminum receivers have all M16A2 design improvements including cartridge case deflector, last round bolt hold-open and raised ridges for magazine release button protection.

The A3 Type differs in that it's Upper Receiver is “flat-top” style with an integral Picatinny rail to offer a variety of sight, scope or night vision mounting options. A 1/2 M.o.A. rear sight is incorporated into the Removable Carrying Handle.
[http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/Images/bcwa3f16.jpg]

I got the A3 version with removable carry handle & flat-top upper. Also picked up a couple of extra 30 round mags & 500 rounds of 55 grain Federal ammo. Skwid came over & showed me how to field strip it. I've wanted a mouse gun for a while now & finally bit the bullet.

Skwid, BT & I are going shooting tomorrow. I can't wait to try it out!! :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quagmire

thats the exact one I got from Parris Islands exchange about a month ago, mine has the M4 profile barrel and the IZZY break on it, it is one well put together rifle.

Keith

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keith: I almost went with the M4 profile & izzy brake model myself. It was a little lighter than this one, and I liked the reduced weight, but in the end I had to have the "real" birdcage flash suppressor. It doesn't really make a difference I know, but it's funny the little things you can get hung up on. :lol:

My Dad was the Red Cross Station Director at Paris Island in the mid-70's. I spent a lot of time on the base (scouting, etc...) & really enjoyed it there. Ended up in the USAF when I was older though.

Steve: You know it buddy! :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quagmire

Thats the nice thing about the Black-rifles, I already have my eye on an A4 flat-top upper with a bird cage to put a red-dot sight on, kinda feel like the new upper will have a Smith Vortec on it as well.

Gotta love ACCESSORIZING lol

Keith

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quag,

Congrats on the new rifle. I’m hoping to hear how great it shoots and what a terrific rifle you think it is after sending some of that ammo downrange. Bushmaster puts out an excellent product, you should be completely happy with that little rifle. I’ve got a couple of their different offerings (about 9000 rounds through one of em) and always looking to get more.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone! :D

Took it to the range for a bit today. Followed the instructions to set the "battle-sight zero" at 25/300 meters, then went to shoot at 100 yards & found that POI was @ 4" high. Guess that's not surprising when you take the rise of the bullet into account.

At any rate, I decreased the front sight elevation 4 clicks to get POI back down at 100 yards. Shot some soda cans, a 3" clay pigeon and some steel targets before calling it a day.

It's a fun gun to shoot & I had no problems other than one failure to feed, but I think I'd put 31 rounds in that mag so will reserve judgement on that one. I put 220 rounds through it today, it went pretty quick. 8O :lol:

Seriously considering an aimpoint for this one. Will look around for the best local price this weekend & se what I can find.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quagmire said:
Seriously considering an aimpoint for this one. Will look around for the best local price this weekend & se what I can find...
Hey Quag.

I have a first-generation Comp-M on top of my Colt 16" flattop, and I have to tell ya, it makes shooting it pretty darned boring. At 100 yards, there simply is no way possible you can miss once that dot is on target (OK, OK, just don't cant it that bad). My favorite pastime was nailing clay birds at 100.

Aimpoints are absolutely fantastic, IMHO. Here's my buddy taking "Buzz" for a spin.

Spike

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking rifle Spike! :D

Yup, I think I'm going to have to get a red dot sight of some type. Definately.

Question - does the front sight sticking up in the FOV of the aimpoint ever get in your way?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quagmire said:
Nice looking rifle Spike! :D

Yup, I think I'm going to have to get a red dot sight of some type. Definately.

Question - does the front sight sticking up in the FOV of the aimpoint ever get in your way?
Thanks, Quag. :D

Nope. Duddn't hamper me a bit. The really bizarre thing about Aimpoints (and similar dot scopes) is that the underlying optical concept allows you to look pretty much anywhere in the scope, and as long as you can place the dot on the target (and if you have it zeroed for that distance), you'll hit it. It's not like dealing with a set of irons where ya gotta line up "just so" and then let loose.

It's a pretty amazing thing. What really freaked me out was the fact that for best results, you should be shooting with both eyes open (that also nullifies the front sight, which sits just beneath my dot if I look squarely through the glass). My brother-in-law, an optometrist, once explained the concept to me, relating to stereoscopic vision, but my little brain couldn't quite comprehend. Bottom line, though, the sucker works.

I have it mounted on an Aimpoint factory rail grabber w/thumbscrew, and that itself is on top of an ARMS standard-length flattop mount with flip-up backup rear sight (a little overkill for a Safe Queen, but I got it for a song). Clears up the FOV quite nicely, although I would think that the higher I have the scope over the bore axis, the more parallax would be a problem (of course, these ain't target guns). Aimpoint also sells a quarter-inch shim that fits its rings for folks annoyed by the AR front sight assembly.

HTH

Spike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.