M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my coworkers brought me a BCR to inspect. Her stepson was going to give it to her husband and she ponied up some cash for upgrades. Stepson did not want the dept armorers to look at it.

When we got it we noticed the front gas block was canted. then there was no pin holding the gas tube to the front sight block. After aligning the gas tube, it was way off in the upper.

We took off the barrel and the indent in the upper where the barrel pin inserts, was damaged allowing the barrel indexing key to move to the left (that's way the gas block was canted. We realigned everything and according to Bushy's instructions, applied loc tite before reinstalling the barrel. Everything lined up.

Took it to the range. We could not get more than 2 shots without the bolt not going into battery. It would chamber a round and the bolt would stop when just touching the barrel lugs. The round would insert into the chamber (coming out of the extractor). We could use the forward assist to insert the bolt or remove the mag and use the charging handle to reengage the bolt.

I assumed the barrel/upper were torqueing during fire and the lugs were not aligning (they would not align when the gas block was canted although it would force into battery). I too it back to the armory and looked at the bolt/carrier. There were indentations where the gas tube was striking the key. Looking at the gas tube, it was correctly aligned in the upper.

Again, our opinion was the upper and barrel were twisting during operation and it was causing misalignment.

The rifle is going under the Christmas tree. Upon opening he will be advised/lectured/ordered NOT to shoot it. We will help him sell the usable parts and get another, quality rifle.

This is the first time I have worked on a carbon rifle. I was very under-impressed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have 2 bushmasters. The first one was an original Bushmaster from Maine. It is a fine rifle and will shoot MOA all day. The second one was made by the company that bought Bushmaster and it is not on the same level of quality with my first one at all. Upper and Lower fit is not as nice, had initial trigger reset problems, ant when it warms up rounds are 6 inches high and left at 50 yards. Not so nice.

I think the problem is with the "New" Bushmaster owners.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Traded for a BM in the early 90's. for some reason, the BCG was "chattered" where it contacted to reset the hammer and it would fire 2 or 3 round bursts. I don't know if shade tree gunjones did this intentionally or if the metal was soft. The rest of the rifle was fine. New BCG and it was good to go.

No experience with the new ones.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've worked on Bushmaster rifles before. All rifles have some issues from time to time.

But this was the carbon (plastic) upper and lower. A different beast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a windham bushmaster wouldn't trade it for anything, Never fails is accurate. I wouldn't give 10.00 for a new one they are junk Freedom Group has ruined every manufacture they bought. Have a DPMS LR 308 old one it shoots no jambs very accurate getting rid of it because they have changed since, Decided to buy a real rifle JRA M14 forged receiver, forged bolt and all USGI parts. A true and tried battle rifle. The 308 AR market is to new, none of their stuff is battle proven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts