M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You shouldn't. It does take a specific mag to be reliable. Also be sure to clean accordingly if the ammo used is corrosive. I shoot .458 SOCOM and 6.8 SPC uppers. Special mags for the 6.8.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need to check on mags, I think the ones people say work best are called frankenmags, because they mate the top of an ar mag to the bottom of an ak mag. It gives you the proper curved shape that works best with the round.

Unless you have a cheap supply of 7.62x39, you might want to consider one in 5.45x39 to take advantage of the cheap supply of ammo. It can be had for $150 a thousand right now. I was planning on buying one, but bought an ak-74 instead, new with three mags, bayonet, for $400 out the door, and it has the rail on the receiver to mount a scope.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
C Products sells 7.62X39 specific mags for the AR conversions. I've been collecting parts for a 7.62X39 AR for a year or so, just got diverted by the .458 and 6.8 projects.

I've thought about the 5.45X39, but since I have several SKS's that shoot the 7.62 I don't really need to have yet another caliber to contend with...............................sigh.

Come to think, I got my C Product mags from 44Mag.com

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you find that you are having light primer strikes (alot of people do when using the wolf etc.) try the link below, it will cure the problem. We get the 7.62x39 uppers to shoot the cheap stuff, but alot of the uppers won't reliably fire the harder russian primers and also this kit has a much bigger extractor for the steel cases (another weak spot for the stock bolt). Good luck, it worked for me.

http://www.mgimilitary.com/store/in..._id=25&zenid=15d4f7bb70187742728ac2c3f975dbf1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts