M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Springfield produced the Bush and Scout models at the same time or did the Scout replace the Bush? Was there a clean cut off of Bush production?

Thanks,
High Hat

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Does anyone know if Springfield produced the Bush and Scout models at the same time or did the Scout replace the Bush? Was there a clean cut off of Bush production?

Thanks,
High Hat
I don't have the Answer, I don't remember the Bush,but it seems the Scout has been around Forever!

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Bush model has an 18" barrel and a solid hand guard.
A Scout has a scope mount on the barrel and a cut out in the hand guard around the mount.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
A Bush model has an 18" barrel and a solid hand guard.
A Scout has a scope mount on the barrel and a cut out in the hand guard around the mount.
The bush also had a flash suppressor with cut off bayo lug and the scout has a muzzle brake.

I thought I saw an old ad that had both, I can't remember when the ad was from, early 90's I think.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
SA Bush Rifle

The bush rifle has been around much longer than some of you realize. It dates back into the 1980's and was first introduced with a folding stock. With the exception of it's shorter barrel, the bush rifle was otherwise just a standard rifle. The last really nice one I had was sold on TFL for $3000. Scout models came out much later and were distinctive with their barrel mounted scope mount and short barrel. They were inspired by the concept originated by Col. Jeff Cooper.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
This might help.

I have all the SAI sales catalogs from the 80s, and most of the 90s.
M1A-A1Assault Rifle (and it was called "Assault" in the catalogs) was first introduced in 1981,and ran thru 1986.
M1A-A1 Bush Rifle was introduced in 1987. and ran thu at least 1995.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw a Scout for sale with a 105,*** serial number. My Bush has a 142,*** serial number and was made in October, 2002 according to Springfield.

I didn't realize that Bush and Scout production over lapped each other. Or did this Scout start out as a Bush and then got converted to a Scout? Just curious...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I still have a 1997 SAI Mini Catalog that lists both the Scout and the Bush Model rifles. So they did overlap at least that year. dozier

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I've always thought the Scout was a play on the "Scout" popularity generated by the Steyr/Jeff Cooper introduction and marketing. My original Bush had the Beretta folder Circa 1990(?)...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hope this isn't a hijack of the thread, but can someone tell me what a good price on a Bush rifle in the current market might be? I can't find any for sale on Gunbrokers or the PX; maybe I didn't search right? Nothing came up in a search for Bush Rifle. But I have one from early1994 that's got under 200 rounds thru it, with a mix of USGI and SAI parts. The reciever and barrel are SAI, the trigger, oprod, and bolt are TRW w/ NM sites. What's a fair price to put on it?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have a 1997 SAI Mini Catalog that lists both the Scout and the Bush Model rifles. So they did overlap at least that year. dozier
Thanks Dozier, you answered the question.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hope this isn't a hijack of the thread, but can someone tell me what a good price on a Bush rifle in the current market might be? I can't find any for sale on Gunbrokers or the PX; maybe I didn't search right? Nothing came up in a search for Bush Rifle. But I have one from early1994 that's got under 200 rounds thru it, with a mix of USGI and SAI parts. The reciever and barrel are SAI, the trigger, oprod, and bolt are TRW w/ NM sites. What's a fair price to put on it?
I could not find a "bush" & when I did (here on this site) one member snatched it before I did. Distraught, I bought a loaded with the same setup as the bush you are asking for. The price (paid $1300 for an unfired loaded with 22" stainless NM barrel) and one of the kind members of this forum sold me his extra 18.5" med-weight stainless barrel from the Krieger buy a year back. I'm getting it ready to send to Krieger to install the barrel & muzzle break. Now I'll have a "bush" rifle with TRW parts (bolt, op-rod, trigger group), the SAI reciever & Krieger barrel. I can't wait to shoot it. Should be back by my birthday (end of March).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could not find a "bush" & when I did (here on this site) one member snatched it before I did. Distraught, I bought a loaded with the same setup as the bush you are asking for. The price (paid $1300 for an unfired loaded with 22" stainless NM barrel) and one of the kind members of this forum sold me his extra 18.5" med-weight stainless barrel from the Krieger buy a year back. I'm getting it ready to send to Krieger to install the barrel & muzzle break. Now I'll have a "bush" rifle with TRW parts (bolt, op-rod, trigger group), the SAI reciever & Krieger barrel. I can't wait to shoot it. Should be back by my birthday (end of March).
Thanks for the insight. I must be doing the searches wrong, cuz they can't possibly rare, per se. I've done variations of "Springfield Bush Rifle" and Springfield 18", etc, and can't get any results. I was thinking around $1500, give or take; is that low...high...?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked for 13 months to find my Bush model. Pricing I've seen is $1,300 to $1,650 for people that really want to sell a rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts